Strange Airplanes from WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not so strange in looks but strange in concept: the A-20 Turbinlight. An attempt at night fighting wherein the A-20 used its medium wave radar (AI Mk IV, antenna in the nose) to locate the enemy at night and then turn its very bright spotlight ('turbinlight', behind the antenna) onto the enemy aircraft. It had no guns, however, but two accompanying single-engine fighters were supposed to shoot the illuminated enemy down while trying not to collide with each other or the A-20. As soon as the light came on, the enemy would start wild evasion maneuvers and all three would be flailing around, like on person trying to hold a flashlight (torch) on a moth flying in pitch dark room while two other silly buggers with fly swatters try to smack it . This outlandish "experiment" was attempted way longer than you can imagine before being dropped as 'impractical.' As one detractor wrote in his report: 'If you can get close enough to put a spotlight on the enemy then you are bloody well close enough to put some 20mm cannon fire on it instead.'

Attachments

• Douglas_Havoc_II_Turbinlite_1459_Flight_RAF_c1942.jpg
    Douglas_Havoc_II_Turbinlite_1459_Flight_RAF_c1942.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 85
The Do18 had diesel engines, the He59 and He60 had a V-12 - there's a few others, but liquid-cooled seaplanes were not that rare.
Well yes, that's why both of us referred to the quantity as "few", i.e. there are others.

Most seaplanes were radial powered. Given its propensity to crack cylinders upon its engine's contact with the sea, I think the Arado 196 would have benefited from an inline, liquid-cooled engine.

What's you favorite strange airplane from WWII? Plenty of choices, but here's one of mine: the Zveno composite bomber / fighter. The Z-1 was designed to carry up to three fighters into battle for self protection or for extended range strikes, it was successful enough that the Soviets developed the project into the Aviamatka Z-6, which could carry five fighters. The Z-7 actually saw combat, carrying two dive bombers. Check out the linked article and imagine the crews' reactions when they were assigned to this duty.

View attachment 610838
I've been after a kit of this Beast for ages! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back