StuG III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have been unable to find it. I found a couple of good sites but I don't think they are the one you're refering to. I'm hoping to stumble upon it eventually.

Good info, Soren.

What percentage of the Werhmachts' AFV's were Sturmgeschutz's; do you know?

Don't know the exact percentage, but it was pretty high compared to most other tanks.

Yeah, close to 20% of the total (Keeping in mind the rest not listed). That's a lot.

here is the site:

Index

many of the German Panzer divisions during late 44 replaced their II. Abteilung or at least their Pz. IV Abt with Stug III's in the Panzer regiment. Of course the regular Stug Abteilung still existed as well as replacement if possible of the 7.5cm Pak 40's by Stugs in the Panzerjagd Abteilung

here is the site:

Index

many of the German Panzer divisions during late 44 replaced their II. Abteilung or at least their Pz. IV Abt with Stug III's in the Panzer regiment. Of course the regular Stug Abteilung still existed as well as replacement if possible of the 7.5cm Pak 40's by Stugs in the Panzerjagd Abteilung
A great site. Many thanks for pointing it out.

Here is a StuG that was captured and crewed by Americans.

stug_0030.jpg

That captured one is using the aditional concrete layer over the frontal armor.

Talking about guns, this is an Sturmhaubitze 42 reloading, note the 105mm projectiles, the propellant cases were stored separately up to 1944 when a "fixed" ammunition was introduced.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 128
but used in a different form of defense that one of artillery when and if needed, not AT unless provoked

Of course. it was a direct fire howitzer on tracks. However some armor piercing discarding sabot ammo was developed very late in the war, to use that the Stug42 loose the muzzle brake wich wasnt compatible with saboted projectiles.

The German StuG series performed the same infantry support mission as the Soviet Su-76 and American M4(105) Sherman. They should be considered artillery rather then anti-tank weapons.

that would be a nope Dave, as I said in an earlier posting the Stug III replaced the Pz IV in the Panzer regiment.

as from a couple of German sources over 10,000 Allied/Soviet vehicles were popped out by the Stug's, believe what you want as fact but they were a tremendous impression on non Axis forces, low down, strung out and effective offering the punch that was often times lacking in 1945. also check out the site I listed, whether a person understands Deutsch or not, it's a keeper.

I have a copy of a German Panzer-jagd Abteilung make-up in front of me that I just pulled out; the Pz-Jagd Kompanie comprised some 8 -10 Stug III's accompanied by a Stab of 2-4 Stug III's. a II. Kompanie was also supplied within the Abteilung and the 3rd Kompanie was useually a towed Pak 40 unit but also it could be replaced by Stug III's: this was changed if applicable and available in late 1944 to Pz-jagd IV (Jagdpanzer IV) which seemed to be a rareity even in spring of 45.

Last edited:
What time frame are you referring to?

The Pz IV Auf A through Auf E produced during 1939 to 1942 had a 7.5cm/24 howitzer mounted in the turret. They were infantry support vehicles. So it makes sense the StuG would take their place when the Pz IV was up-gunned to become a main battle tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back