StuG III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amsel

Tech Sergeant
Jul 15, 2008
Texas
I have scanned a bunch of photos of the StuG, which happens to be one of my favorite AFV's of the Second World War.

stugcover.gif

stug7.gif

stug6.gif

stug4.gif

stug3.gif

stug2.gif

stug1.gif

stug5.gif

Yes, Hetzer was formidable (and cheap) tank killer but one should remember it entered service only late in the war, while StuG III was used from beginning to the end of the conflict. StuG was a great concept and it came a long way from infantry supporting vehicle to the tank killer.

Great scans Amsel. Thanks for sharing.

Nice! For me it's only 2nd to the Hetzer.

Hetzer had a good armor-gun package but was really cramped for its crew.

Good topic.

Some more:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 175
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 176
Great photos. I really like the photo of the StuG on the prime mover.

Here is what made the StuG so formidable...

stug_0013.jpg

stug_0039.jpg

Low profile and a 75mm.

Amsel have you tied seeking out several of the German language individual histories on the unit ? yes the Stug Ausf G is my fav German armored crate too. I knew a RK winner in the Pz. Jagd Abt. 1 that commanded one in late 43 till wars end in Ost Preußia. he popped at least 6 T-34's may a dozen while in the Ausf. G machine but received his RK during his separate tank duels just with a Panzerfaust.

hey just for Amsel, the top pic is of him after receiving the RK and commanding his machine in October of 1943

Attachments

• File0002 c.jpg
    File0002 c.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Walter Kühn sept 1944.jpg
    Walter Kühn sept 1944.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 336
Amsel have you tied seeking out several of the German language individual histories on the unit ? yes the Stug Ausf G is my fav German armored crate too. I knew a RK winner in the Pz. Jagd Abt. 1 that commanded one in late 43 till wars end in Ost Preußia. he popped at least 6 T-34's may a dozen while in the Ausf. G machine but received his RK during his separate tank duels just with a Panzerfaust.

hey just for Amsel, the top pic is of him after receiving the RK and commanding his machine in October of 1943

I am slowly building a collection of books about the history of Leibstandarte. I am always looking for unit histories and am especially interested in Pz.Jagd Abt. 1 as well as Aufklarungsabteilung 1.

Great photos, Erich. Were they taken in the Ukraine?

Last edited:
somewhere in the SAoviet Union before the rush to Hungary and then the defense of Ost Preußia where the Pz jagd 1 destroyed numerous T-34's and KV's plus met up with the JS I.

are you familiar with the incredible German site sturmartilliere ?, man you must see it and book mark it.

E `

I just searched for it and can't seem to find it. Would you have a link by chance?

look up sturmartilliere, it should be the first one listed. now I just had time to check this twice and both times it crashed my PC. it's all in German but well worth getting on to. some interesting book links, one history is being published into English and is for sale along with a DVD of the living members being interviewed

StuG-III was one of greatest assets for German army to have back in WWII. Along with men that manned it that is.

8)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 124
Did the StugIII use the same 75mm cannon as the Panther?

No, the main gun was a different model. The Panther used the 7.5 cm KwK 42.

The later StuG variants used the 7.5 cm Sturmkanone (StuK) 40 L/48 and the 7.5 cm Sturmkanone (StuK) 40 L/43.

Not only the barrel was shorter, the cartrigde cases were completely different.

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-154-1986-05,_Russland,_Sturmgeschütz_III_mit_Seitenschürzen.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-154-1986-05,_Russland,_Sturmgeschütz_III_mit_Seitenschürzen.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 100
one way to haul bridging materials, Amsel did you access that German sturmartilliere site yet ? it is still throwing me off .....too bad, it's a great deal of needed information. I sent a scan of a deceased gunner from one of the Stug Abteilungs and the German chap never replied to me....about 2 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back