Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Not more so than other fighters

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Only when angry

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • To Kool-Aid drinkers only

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Also, just an aside, several people have told me that like the Corsair the F-4 Phantom made a quite noticeable scream, but only on final approach... for no purpose-built reason.

Ive heard that in the case of the F4, it had all the aerodynamics of a brick, so maybe thats why it made a noise in flight...not to disrespect the F4s achievements,which i imagine were many, i mention it merely because ive seen it mentioned in a number of aircraft magazines/DVDs and found it amusing when reading Blue hawk's post...

Gentlemen,
Great Post, I wanted to make a small contribution with a few pictures of what I was informed is a prop from the Stuka Siren.
Made from lightweight alloy, 42cms long X 6cms wide at its broadest point.
The markings are in "German Text" - 'Elek. A8' '321 105 211 C1'.
I can neither confirm or discount its use on the Ju87 but I'be be very interersted in any thoughts/opinions?
My Best Wishes,
Ian

Attachments

• CIMG1667.JPG
    CIMG1667.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 136
  • CIMG1668.JPG
    CIMG1668.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 138
  • CIMG1669.JPG
    CIMG1669.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 136
-cut-
When the Stuka entered it's dive, the siren's brake was released as the dive flaps were deployed. Once the dive brakes were retracted, the siren's brake was reset. He also told me that the brakes sometimes didn't reset entirely, and the poor pilot/crewman had to listen to the siren turning slowly all the way back to base...

That would have drove me insane...lol

Anyway, hope this helps shed some light on that.
-cut-

I've read that in one book or another about Hans-Ulrich Rudel...can't remember which book, though. But it must've been either his own book: "Stuka Pilot", or Günther Just's book about Rudel: "Stuka Pilot Hans-Ulrich Rudel", as it's the only two books I've read about the man.

Bluehawk and thetonester - like everything the F-4 was once the king of the walk in the 1960s it held several records, a climb of 41,000ft/min and an altitude of 98,000ft are nothing to sneeze at even today.
I have seen several F-4s in combat coming in at 50ft or so off the deck. Don't know if I'd call it a scream but certainly a whistle plus the turbine and exhaust roar combined. the airblast on the ground could lift you right off of it. Except for the skyraider my favorite plane

Maria, I have to admit that I haven't had the opportunity to read Rudel's book, but I would really like to sometime.

bombphoons!!, that prop looks too small to be a Jerico Trumpet prop (and the tips are angular, not squared), but it does look like a wind generator prop used on the Gotha gliders and the wind generator on the nose of the Me163 Komet...might bear investigating...

Bluehawk and thetonester - like everything the F-4 was once the king of the walk in the 1960s it held several records, a climb of 41,000ft/min and an altitude of 98,000ft are nothing to sneeze at even today.
I have seen several F-4s in combat coming in at 50ft or so off the deck. Don't know if I'd call it a scream but certainly a whistle plus the turbine and exhaust roar combined. the airblast on the ground could lift you right off of it. Except for the skyraider my favorite plane
Got that :)

I've never heard it personally, but some say that sound is surely unforgettable. Must've been, those engines were enormous!

Gentlemen,
Great Post, I wanted to make a small contribution with a few pictures of what I was informed is a prop from the Stuka Siren.
Made from lightweight alloy, 42cms long X 6cms wide at its broadest point.
The markings are in "German Text" - 'Elek. A8' '321 105 211 C1'.
I can neither confirm or discount its use on the Ju87 but I'be be very interersted in any thoughts/opinions?
My Best Wishes,
Ian
Thank you so much for those photographs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back