Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Not more so than other fighters

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Only when angry

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • To Kool-Aid drinkers only

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Anybody know if the thing I circled in this pic is the siren? I remember seeing somewhere that it is but im not sure...

Attachments

• ju87d-1_1.jpg
    ju87d-1_1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 8,006
The siren fitted to the Stuka brings into my mind two words: absolute wit.

The first time i was told i was listening the siren of the Stuka was during my early teens, at my parents house in London; they were listening Pink Floyd´s "The Wall" (the 1979 concept album): track number 1 titled "In the Flesh", right at the end of it, after Roger Waters last yelling; my grandfather happened to be there, and he told me what that terrorific adrenalized pitched sound was.

You can clearly detect it is the entire diving process of the Stuka sampled in that song: you first hear the sound of the supercharged engine, then the dive begins and the "scream" with it.

It actually sounds futuristic; that a plane got fitted with such a device about 60-65 years ago.

The high pitched sound of the Stuka siren is very similar to the F1 cars, so everytime I see the F1 Grand Prix, the sounds of the competition remind me of the Stuka.

I just found this....never heard about it before...

The Berta would generate an eerie whine as it dove at an angle approaching 90° onto its target as the wind whistled through the extended airbrakes. This was distinctly unnerving for troops unaccustomed to it. Later an actual siren was developed to exploit the effect

what an inspired way to scare you enemy, it was absolute genius............
Yep, sounded good too...
It actually sounds futuristic
Hope you all enjoy it
Wow thats pretty neat...
that's pretty good.............

Ask anyone whose actually heard those sirens as they're running through a field in Poland in 1939 and Ill bet u they'll disagree with all of the above posts....

They certainly would, but of course circumstances were much different then. Ive copied that file to cd so i can listen to it when im in france...

these stupid items were removed early on........why alert the enemy that you are attacking him ? found at early enough that it wasn't always innocents running and old four legged stock you were ataccking by Soviet tri flak ready to blow you out of the skies. there were ideas of reviving the idea on the D-3's of the NSGr grouppen but again why alert the enemy

E

Agreed, it's definitely more suited to cutting down defenseless infantry than to attacking flak positions. Although early in the war when intimidation was a main tactic, it was quite effective, even to crews working an AA gun if they are unaccustomed to the sound

I don't think labelling them as 'stupid' is correct, they were brilliant, but only in the situations they were designed for.

I'm sure there was a group of British troops running for cover while hearing those sirens and saying "what an inspired way to scare you enemy, it was absolute genius............" and the other replying, "Yes, quite."

yes stupid is the right word from about 1942-43 on the Ost front when getting shot up by Soviet AA.................here we come, let us have it....

plan_D said:
I'm sure there was a group of British troops running for cover while hearing those sirens and saying "what an inspired way to scare you enemy, it was absolute genius............" and the other replying, "Yes, quite."

i honestly wouldn't be supprised if that exact thing happened............

I agree the siren could "help" the attacked ground positions or troops being more alert.

Also i agree the siren could have begin losing its psychological effect as the war progressed.

However, i do not think 1942-43 made a period of high losees of Stukas, at all. 2 remarkable battles in such period in the ostfront can be of help in the issue:

(i) Stalingrad (second half of 1942), losses of fighters, bombers and stukas over and around the city in the Volga were low for the Luftwaffe, being moderate in the worst case scenario.

The brunt of the disaster suffered by the Luftwaffe in Stalingrad, was suffered by the transport branch, losing more than 500 transports and a number of bombers pressed into service as transports during the airlift.

(ii) The Kuban air battles of 1943 where the Stuka flew many many missions in very large formations. Perhaps it was the last place where the Stuka flew in massive formations in world war II.
It was either april or may of that year, in that area, that a 460 Stuka strong formation attacked soviet positions in the western tip of the German bridgehead, losing only 6 Stukas, to soviet AA mostly.

(BTW, a casualy rate far lower than the one the USAAF`s heavy bombers were accepting in western europe).

Early 1943, saw the Stukas gutting US military convoys and grund positions in North Africa, in an environment where the USA did not have air superiority.
(BTW, to those who claim and claim over and over again the Stuka was "obsolete" by even 1942, you should read a bit more on the experiences of the US soldiers being pounded by the Stuka in North Africa)

Does anyone know if the Stukas which pounded the US army in North Africa were fitted with the sirens?

It seems to me that you (plan_D, Erich, and lanc) are missing the point. In the situation it was designed for, it was a brilliant idea. Of course British troops weren't doing that, or at least the Germans Flying the Stuka's hoped that they weren't. The idea was to scare them witless and lower the infantry's morale, which it did quite effectively

Users who are viewing this thread

Back