Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Not more so than other fighters

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Only when angry

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • To Kool-Aid drinkers only

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I do not think so. True with overwhelming superiorirty in manpower/equipment the Wehrmacht could be almost indestructable in Poland, Holland, France and the first year in the Soviet Union. After 1942 the Soviets used more and more ground flak pieces many of them mobile with their Tank forces. This is proven in STG 2's log-books for one unit which harrassed Soviet MT and armor through the whole war.

You still seem to miss the point I'm making. They certainly weren't as effective against targets that could fight back, but they weren't designed to be effective in that situation. It's like saying "the He-111 was a terrible fighter" well yeah, but it wasn't designed to be a fighter, but it did well in the role it was made for, as a bomber. Likewise, the siren did well in the situation it was designed for, against the early-war, relatively defenseless infantry.

Crazy:

To some extent i have said what you commented here.

Several guys here argue the Stuka was "obsolete"; it only had a lethal performance in Poland, France, Low Countries and the first months of Barbarossa -the only "gap" in such period being the Battle of Britain-.

1942, when the Wehrmacht launched Blau, the Stuka performed as lethal and destructive as it had done in the previous months and years. The VVS units launched to the battle in that period were, to an important extent, destroyed by the Luftwaffe.

I will not repeat the same stuff over and over again. Had Germany won the war the Stuka would be the "greatest ground attack plane ever"; just like the IL-2M is considered by many guys in here; the IL-2M was virtually helpless when intercepted as well; slow, clumsy... but the Shturmovik belongs in the victors club.

am not sure Crazy where you are going now. I agree that the siren which is the original topic header was a pure psycho weapon in the early war years but once the enemy-allies were used to the sound, all ant1-aircraft guns were directed to the sound. The case is that the sirens were removed and actually whistles were used later even on the bombs as a psycho killer threat to put terror into the lives of ground troops. the Stuka was a wild machine and it's day useage was dying by 1945 since it was being replaced by the more nimble Fw 190F and G series fast attack bombers. Still the G-1 Kanonvögel was something to be reckoned with as the Panzerstaffels still used the old crate till war's end, and also the night ground attack gruppen who preferred it due to its slow stalling speed, easy banking, excellent dive characteristics and could still deliver a pretty decent payload to the target.

are we now on the same page ? here's a pic for ya

Attachments

• c6.jpg
    c6.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 820
Actually yes it was... The siren was the most devastating an allied millitary man could hear... The german loved that siren... they used it as propaganda... It was everywhere... in movies, on the radio... EVERYWHERE... it is what had made the STUKA a star... It was indeed a weak airplane but it was huge propaganda machine... :)

The siren actually came about in the earlier models, a similar noise was produced by the extended airbrakes. They removed them later in in the war though, a wise choice! 8)

cheddar cheese said:
The siren actually came about in the earlier models, a similar noise was produced by the extended airbrakes. They removed them later in in the war though, a wise choice! 8)

Why "a wise choice" CC? I just wanna know, I'm not questioning your facts... simply want to know... :)

Interestingly enough the siren was nicknamed "the horns of Jericho" by Allied troops. Not sure whether anyone has posted this fact yet...

Does anyone know where I could possibly get a siren that sounded like the Stuka?

...I want to strap one to my car. An electric motor and a switch on the dash. Any ideas where I could find such a piece?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back