Su-5: 500mph Soviet prototype fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

claidemore

Senior Airman
Jan 4, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
By far the ugliest WWII fighter I have ever seen..

Went like a bat out of Hell, though! The top speed, with the turbine running may have been as high as 513mph. The Mig-13 was also known as the I-250. The piston engine ran the compressor for the small turbine engine in the tail, like the Caproni-Campini plane of 1940. This plane went into small-scale production (10-50 examples) and it may have gone into service, but Russian sources differ over this. It was too late for the Great Patriotic War (WWII). Below is a picture of the Su-5, which was very similar and designed to the same requirement. Not exactly any great beauty, either.

Venganza

Attachments

• Su-5.jpg
    Su-5.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 139
The picture you posted is actually a Mig-13.

Notable are the little ajustable doors on the booster nozzle!

Oops, yer right. I had a little trouble attaching the Su5 photo and ended up putting the I-250 in by mistake. Fortunately Vengaza has posted the correct photo. Glad to see another Soviet aviation buff.

I wonder, do we have an "Ugliest fighter of WWII" thread?

Actually, in a side view, the Su-5 ain't all that bad. Sorta. lol And check out the top view profile, the laminar flow wing outline looks vaugely familiar. :)

Attachments

• aa12.jpeg
    aa12.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 123
  • su-5.jpg
    su-5.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 147
Sukhoi's original design which eventually led to the Su-5. Looks a little less "cigar shaped"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back