Supermarine Shagbat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
A Walrus taking off or landing in Northern waters in front of HMS Belfast. Possibly one of the ugliest amphibians ever built and certainly the ugliest to come out of the Supermarine works but one of the toughest and most useful it could do a loop and withstand a 6g catapult launch and there are still men alive who owe there lives to this tough little Pug. 10 men from a crashed B17 overloaded a Walrus in the North Sea so the pilot simply steered for a port and taxied home.

walrus.jpg

To be fair to supermarine they did name it after one of the ugliest mammals known. I think she would look just fine if you were bobbing about in the North sea. Great pic.

In my top 5 of favorite WWII aircraft. I love the ugly duckling look to it and the fact one landed in Tokyo Bay in August '45 to rescue downed pilots.

A Walrus taking off or landing in Northern waters in front of HMS Belfast. Possibly one of the ugliest amphibians ever built and certainly the ugliest to come out of the Supermarine works but one of the toughest and most useful it could do a loop and withstand a 6g catapult launch and there are still men alive who owe there lives to this tough little Pug. 10 men from a crashed B17 overloaded a Walrus in the North Sea so the pilot simply steered for a port and taxied home.

View attachment 303862
She wasnt pretty but had great pedigree being sired by a Sneider trophy winner

Supermarine Sea King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Supermarine Sea Lion II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back