SWA ENGINE FAILURE!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What the hell happened? Applaud the crew for their being able to land with that kind of engine failure. Bird??

Thats nothing. Last year a engine of one of the airlines here in SA, a B-737 200 fell off wile taking off. The pilot mannered to turn and land the plane safely. It was one for the history books since it has not been done a lot.

Yup, here is some pictures of the plane and the engine.

Nationwide emergency landing

Nationwide-emergency-landing.jpg

php8gycpC.jpg

php9bUbBq.jpg

phpCQpq5c.jpg

phpMGGdJX.jpg

phpML1Vsb.jpg

phpqb5KgD.jpg

The airline went bankrupt this year and it is all due to BEE. (Black Economic Empowerment)

From airliners.net.

Actually I think there was at least one over 737 that lost an engine like that. That's an old -200 and it has no pylon. Having flown both in a full motion sim I could tell you "The Guppy" is a pretty easy flying and rugged aircraft.

Hmmm...Quite obviously the result of a space rock-fed pigeon thrown by an economically empowered black S. African.

On the subject of jettisoned engines, didn't a DC-10 or two, dump one? I vaguely remember something about bolts failing due to metallurgical flaws.

On the subject of jettisoned engines, didn't a DC-10 or two, dump one? I vaguely remember something about bolts failing due to metallurgical flaws.
Yep - in 1979 - that was due to the maintenance personnel removing the engine and the pylon together utilizing a forklift for the process - when reinstalling it they were cracking the pylon thus the end result.

Actually I think there was at least one over 737 that lost an engine like that. That's an old -200 and it has no pylon. Having flown both in a full motion sim I could tell you "The Guppy" is a pretty easy flying and rugged aircraft.

So you say FlyboyJ that the older version is better?

Unfortunately Africa is on the watch list of virtually every world regulatory authority. And for good reason. Africa with its minimal ATM infrastructure has the greatest potential to embrace modern technologies (i.e., GNSS, ADS-B, CDTI, CPDLC, RNP, SatVoice, etc) since there is little legacy ground architecture requiring long term return on investment. It sure would be nice to see African nation states get their act together and formulate a ATM plan and infrastructure similar to EUROCONTROL or ASIA to maximize this potential. But alas, not likely to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back