SWA ENGINE FAILURE!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
:shock:

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 136
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 138
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 215
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 131
Don't know what exactly happened but it looked like 3/4 of the engine canned!

A blade failure should have been contained within the engine. If it did come out then they are very lucky that it didn't head towards the aircraft. Nasty

Something like this should never happen.
If the debris parts would have broken out on the other side...
If it could land with many big shrapnel holes?

Something like this should never happen.
Actually this is a very uncommon occurrence but it does happen.

If the debris parts would have broken out on the other side...
If it could land with many big shrapnel holes?
Yes, I believe this happened on climb out and the plane did come around and land (I hope to have more info on this in the next few days)

That's not supposed to happen. :)

Kevlar protection and turbine blade design is supposed to minimize the risk of a rotorburst. You won't see that often, I assure you.

Southwest Airlines 737.

Stupid Pidgeon, i told you no more turbines, you will just hurt yourself. seriously, my father worked for psa and gd he would see damage way beyond this just from a finch or or dove. If the impellors decide that a mass will be solid then that mass will act like a solid......especialy at 80,000 rpm. no matter whats in its way, steel, aluminum, titanium,or unobtanium. Check the testing, they could drive a 1 pound pidgeon through concrete.

We had a few Mig21 crashing because of birds...one crashed near a gas station (thank God it didn't "land" on it) and another hit someones house...fortunately nobody was home at the time...the rest crashed on fields.

:lol: Here in San diego we have people that use hawks at the airport just to keep them away, i will try to find some pics of the engines that suckrd them up

they could drive a 1 pound pidgeon through concrete.

What do you mean? After the bird came out the other end it could go through concrete?

Sorry, but I'm a turbine/jet. I know .01% about them and that's it. Let's see....they are loud. They go fast. Yep, that's about it.

If birds do this, I'm really surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Looks like the first stage of the compressor came apart; I'd say one or two blades broke loose, and the imbalance caused the rest of the stage to come apart.

And, yeah, it's a good thing the blades came out on the opposite side of the engine; they would've punched a hole right through the airframe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back