Swordfish Mk.II 816 Squadron Questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

scandyflick

Airman
Jan 25, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gentlemen,

Am building the Tamiya Swordfish Mk.II and am contemplating using the kit decals. The a/c i want to build is HS 158, Black B <some would say Red B :)> as she was flying off of HMS Tracker in 1943.

Would this particular a/c still be with the squadron when it was seconded to Coastal Command in mid-1944? You guys know where i'm headed with this, i guess. My real motive is to check if i can apply invasion stripes to this particular a/c. i'd get Xtradecal 48039 with the markings for NF243 BUT the i've got a month to finish the model for a show and i don't live in Europe.

Also, if there are any kind souls out there with knowledge of what a 816 Swordfish would be loaded with during that time of the squadron's service. I only assume that 816 SQN took part in the anti-submarine screens on the flanks of the invasion armada. i could and probably am wrong on this one.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. i'll post pictures when she's done.

more research has shown that 816 SQN did participate in Operation Cork. These were the anti-submarine patrols of Coastal Command in support of Overlord. So i figure a load-out of rockets, smoke and flares.

still no leads on invasion stripes though for HS 158.

Sorry, did a bit of searching around for you but came up empty. If you go to this site Fleet Air Arm 816 squadron profile. Squadron Database of the Fleet Air Arm Archive 1939-1945 , which you probably have, there's a profile of "Red S" of 816 with stripes.

Thanks for researching as well. Looks like I will have to go with the Red S profile like everyone else :). there's some red tactical codes in my stash as well as appropriate serial letters and numbers that'll do the trick.

Here's to a quick build I hope!

This might help a bit. A pic of 3 of the Squadron's aircraft, from "Britain's Fleet Air Arm in WW2", by Ron Mackay, Schiffer Military History.

Attachments

• Swordfish page FAA.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 195

Users who are viewing this thread

Back