T-34

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
OMG another tank! :shock:

I don't know what came over me, but I did another tank!...

It's a random choice of subject - an early T-34, with the short 76mm gun...

Attachments

• Tank_T34_1940_Dev.jpg
    Tank_T34_1940_Dev.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,492
Hallo Clave !!!

Finally something different.I like it.The T34 looks very good.However,a side front part of the turret looks a bit different from these in the pics.It looks like the one which the later models of T-34 were equipped with.As I remember the early T-34 turret was welded but not moulded.In your profile it looks like the moulded one.I've upload a couple of pics and drawings of the early ( 1940) T-34.I hope it would help you to correct the pic.

BTW You have a gift.Have I told you that yet? :D

Attachments

• T-34_1940.jpg
    T-34_1940.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 961
  • T-34_1940_.jpg
    T-34_1940_.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 943
  • T-34_1940_plan.jpg
    T-34_1940_plan.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 2,318
:D Thanks for that...

I have a hell of a lot learn about tanks. :shock:

I knew something was wrong, but the references I had were not helping me at all...

Still... it looks like a fairly easy fix, and I'll raise the drive wheels a tad at the same time (as pointed out elsewhere)

Oh, and next time, I'll post here first, for Wurger's expert appraisal... 8)

:D Thanks for that...

You are welcome mate.:)

I have a hell of a lot learn about tanks. :shock:

Just like me.

I knew something was wrong, but the references I had were not helping me at all...

Simply the early versions of T-34 are not popular as the later ones.

Still... it looks like a fairly easy fix, and I'll raise the drive wheels a tad at the same time (as pointed out elsewhere)

But,I like it.:D

Oh, and next time, I'll post here first, for Wurger's expert appraisal... 8)

To be honest I don't think I'm an expert at "panzer's".But I like T-34 tanks,especially they were used by The Polish 1st Armoured Brigade in USSR.Besides I've made some paper and plastic models of the tank.:)
I also like "Matilda " infantry tank and "Cromwell" one.So maybe your next one could be one of them.:) :) :)

WOW !!!! Clave, :thumbleft: this is an excellent work,and a small suggestion - maybe any number and description on the turret,"for Stalin" or "for Country" in Russian of course.I have to find something in some books about T-34.I'll send you pics if I find something interesting.

Hm...It seems that Russians didn't marked their early T-34.I have to talk to my dude who is makink models of tanks.

I think yes,but the models from 1941/42 had also short barrels,the differences were with their covering in a front part of a turret.And of course the models were marked with many kinds of descriptions as I could see in the pics.Do you need drawings,etc..?
There an interesting link to a site with some nice drawings and profiles :
The Russian Battlefield

There three pics of T-34 model of 1941/42/43.Notice,please,the small red star at the front of covering of the barrel fixing ( the second pic ).In the third pic notice the additional one on the side board of the hull.I think it could be written using a piece of a chalk.It's a pity that the description is unreadable.

Source unknown:

Attachments

• T34.jpg
    T34.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 811
  • T34_.jpg
    T34_.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 827
  • T34_1.jpg
    T34_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 796
Hey Clave, Excellent work! Maybe you could try a type VII U Boat sometime? I was looking at those three photos Wurger posted and it looks like the Russians weren't much for standardization of markings were they? I suppose in their situation who gave a rats butt about markings.

Thanks doug! :D

And I'm sure you're right about the markings... wartime is different...

But, if anyone (Wurger) can find a marking for mine, it would be appreciated - You can see the difference by looking at the barrel - it is short, set low, and the mount has rounded edges not sharp corners...

Hi guys !!!

In those three pics you can see later models of T-34 but I mentioned about it in my post above ( according to Clave's idea to make later T-34 model profiles) .To be much more accurate these are 1942 ( two first one) and 1943 models.As far as the short and long barrel are concerned.The gun with short one was an inadequate L11 gun with a "pig" mount mantle and in a short period of time was replaced by F34 gun with longer barrel and sharp edges mount mantle.Also I found that the early T-34 models were equipped with 7,62 cm L/30.5 mod.38 and 7,62cm L/41 mod.40.I thought that their barrels were also short or equal to F-34 gun one.Russian used also 5,7 cm ZIS4 gun as a main armament of the 1941 model.The barrel of the gun was really the longest one that the Russian had equipped T-34 with in that period of time.Later the T-34 was equipped with the 8,50 cm M1944 ZIS-S53 L/51.5 gun.The main difference between the early model with F34 gun and S53 equipped model was the turret.However the turret of T-34 was changed ( got bigger) more often then the main gun.:lol:. Taking lenght of the L11,F34 barrels and S53 one into consideration I must state that both L11 and F34 barrels were also short.

I've just been given by my collegue this pic of early T-34.In my oppinion these descriptions could be made by Germans because the tank in the pic is dmamged ( lack of the fourth wheel).What do you think about this?
Source unknown:

Attachments

• T34_2.jpg
    T34_2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 149
Interesting find! 8)

I think it has the feel of something added by the Germans, especially on the turret - there is definitely a Teutonic look to the lettering. The big number on the side is probably original, it looks something like that of the MiGs of the period...

Just guessing of course.. :eek:

Edit: Hmm, looking again at where the letters and numbers are placed it seems like there are light patches where something was scraped off? I don't know about this one at all!

Interesting find! 8)

I think it has the feel of something added by the Germans, especially on the turret - there is definitely a Teutonic look to the lettering. The big number on the side is probably original, it looks something like that of the MiGs of the period...

I think you are absolutely right.At the first look I've thought the letters were Gothic but as far as the big number is concerned, it looks like number of kilometers to somewhere ( perhaps to Moscow,etc...),the arrow could show a direction.

Edit: Hmm, looking again at where the letters and numbers are placed it seems like there are light patches where something was scraped off? I don't know about this one at all!

It is possible.I'll try to find out much more about the pic.Still waiting for my mate's answer to other early T-34s pics or rules of Russian markings for them.

I've found out that the tank was used by the 11th armored division and its symbol is on the turret.It is a tank equipped with the L11 gun with Pig's-head gun mount.This kind of tanks was served in the devision as a pathfinder.It has been all I found on the pic so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back