Ta 152

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"# 1 No it should be just in addition though Dietmars covers ops and even those are not correct but have gaps."

I don't need to mention the author I see :D

Anyway it's Dietmar Herrmann, with support from EADS, in Flugzuge Classis 01/2010

that's what I thought, nothing new as to information as it is covered in his book and you may find surprises in the new EE book when it is available. the green 9 of Reschke appearance is not really that aaccurate, the 9 for one is incorrect. the prop is actually schwarz-grun not green as in the profile.

thanks for posting riacrato

No problem.

Me personally, I don't care too much about colour schemes. What I take from the article though, is that is unlikely that any Ta 152 H was ever equipped with a GM-1 tank meaning high altitude performance was likely much less than typically quoted and probably equal or less than that of the P-51.

well we are never going to know fully what the Tank was capable of as it never flew in combat with the P-51 at 30,000 plus ft. although doing well at mid altitude with Soviet fighters is not what was in it's desing/operational role

True but at that altitude what were its advantages over a Fw 190 D-11/12 or 13 apart from the larger stabilizer which could've been fitted to those birds aswell.

the whole Dora series was to be replaced by the Tank variant(s) incorporating the different Dora armament packages and even more ..........

True one should not forget design was started when Germany still thought the fighter would become a new standard, replacing eventually all other piston fighters.

Still this means, no Ta 152 that actually flew was able to reach the stats typically quoted for the type. In fact you might go as far as to speculate that at least performance-wise the few Fw 190 D-13s/D-11s that actually flew were the ultimate German piston warbirds: They got the same engine, same boost equipment (MW50) and were somewhat lighter.

I was also suprised by the importance the Ta 154 apparently had. Talk about wasted resources.

yes the TA was put through it's paces but only tested by the pilots and not able to engage US or RAF higher altitude aircraft on ops.

Hi Erich,

do you have any information on move of the restoration of TA in Smithonian? Or is this bird still only stored there...?
As for your e-mail you sent me yesterday- I´ll be in touch with W.R.´s son this weekend so I ask him and then I let you know.

thanks Roman for your help as always

the TA 152H is still in storage and I have to make some calls and the connections to see just how far along they are. there was talk of just packaging and place the craft in holding, but there is still the large task of removing the old US paint done over the LW greens. interesting turquoise green Stab horizontal bar over the dual colored JG 301 rumpfband. I have many photos of the bird in storage.

Do you know why they changed from electrics to hydraulics tin the Ta 152? What advantages does it have? Which system is lighter?

I wonder about temperatures at 15 000 meter... batteries don't like -60 degrees Celsius much, though I am not sure of hydraulics do...
Oil doesn't like cold temperatures, gets very thick. The electricity came from an engine driven generator.

Oil doesn't like cold temperatures, gets very thick. The electricity came from an engine driven generator.

Hydraulic fluids don't behave exactly like most oils do Milosh, so I'm not sure where you're heading with this one. Common petroleum based hydraulic fluid works just fine all the way down to -50 degrees celcius and lower. Batteries don't function well at all at such temperatures.

Last edited:
Never blown a hydraulic line at -40 have you Soren? This usually happens after the piece of equipment has sat for a while, like over night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back