Ta Da- Finished.. Curtiss P40B Tomahawk by Academy 1/72 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gijive

Airman 1st Class
At last it's finished, and I am mildly pleased with it, considering it's the worst P40 in 1/72 out there, poor cockpit detail, cockpit cover in one piece so only closed position, just as well. No dihedral on the model unless you change it, (see thread posted last week). This is not a model to view from underneath as the wing joints show through the under carriage holes in the wings.

Tail number is too big, no detail on rudder, wide line son canopy, which I painted too wide on the right side. Oh and rubbish guns!

That said it's been fun looking up references and getting the colour right and the weathering as near to the original photos as possible. There is some artistic licence as I found no pics of the wings on 68 other than shown here or on other peoples models, which made getting the patterns spot on impossible, ( no good looking at the one sin the box! )the sides are fairly good though. Good practice.

box.jpg

leftsideplane.jpg

modelleft.jpg

modelcloseup.jpg

closeupright.jpg

closeupright2.jpg

model-right.jpg

rightsidenose.jpg

front.jpg

modeltop.jpg

leftflight.jpg

Paints used, mainly Tamiya Acrylics with some Humbrol enamal.
Humbrol matt varnish
Tamiya undercoat.

I agree with you the kit is the worst kit of Academy.But you have managed to make a quite nice model.Well done.:D

Nice job, gijive! Good job on the weathering. You seem to know about P-40 models - which one would you recommend for a P-40B or C in 1/72nd scale (maybe the AML kit)? I would like to do a Soviet version, you may have seen it, it's (nearly) white overall, with the aircraft number "58". It was a P-40C.

Venganza

Nice job, gijive! Good job on the weathering. You seem to know about P-40 models - which one would you recommend for a P-40B or C in 1/72nd scale (maybe the AML kit)? I would like to do a Soviet version, you may have seen it, it's (nearly) white overall, with the aircraft number "58". It was a P-40C.

Venganza

P-40 Recovery in Russia

Data Decals - decals for modelers

When I have done a few more kits to get back into it, (this is my first for a couple of years and some 18 before that) I will buy the trumpeter one and do the model again, this one was good to experiment with the colours and weathering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back