Taming the Super Cub

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
For the past 5 days I've been in Chandler Arizona getting my tail wheel check out. I went there because they operated Piper Super Cubs. Where I work at we have 6 of them we use for towing at the USAFA. During engine break-ins we have to pay a tow pilot to fly around for 10 hours so I told my boss I'd do it for free if he gave me the time off to get a Super Cub check out.

Flying a tailwheel airplane is a whole different ball game and a Super Cub is even more challenging. You're flying the airplane the minute you start moving. Not being prepared for a gust of wind or being too heavy or too light on the rudders mean a ground loop or worse. I had great instructors and did almost 10 hours in 2 aircraft. The one I'm standing by was the one I finished up in and taxied better on the ground. I was even taken to a short dirt strip to practice landings.

A Super cub is a Brut - while it could be unforgiving it is very versatile. Now I know why many were used as observation aircraft in many military organizations. You could take off in about 250 feet and put it on the numbers with no problem. I was doing short field landings and was over the numbers at 45 MPH!!!!

If I had more time I was going to do a ride in a Great Lakes biplane - I never flew in an open cockpit biplane. I was ready to do the whole 9 yards - cloth helmet and goggles. Oh well, next time I'm there. Below are some pictures...

Attachments

• Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 289
Amazing aircraft was the Cub in all its forms I have about 10 hrs in one . The most amazing pilot I've seen is an guy called Charlie Kulp who while in his 80's puts on the most amazing flying display in his cub.

Looks like its a tight fit for two people in there.

Good pictures and hats off to your boss for agreeing to the trade.

Many Thanks guys!

Glider - it is a little tight in side the Super Cub but really not that bad. If you owned one the custom things to set up are map cases and cubby holes (no pun intended) to place things you might need during a flight. I was really amazed over her low speed performance....

Is that a Pitts or a Starduster?

Saw a dude stall a Cub (might've been a Supercub) straight up within 100 feet of the ground. Then he let it fall over on it's back and pulled through, completing the loop. It was truely amazing. Or crazy. Maybe both.

Congrats FBJ on the tailwheel signoff.

Very very nice, Joe! Congrats! You can have so much fun in a Cub.

My earliest memory of an airplane goes back 51 years to when my Dad,
having left active Navy flying for reserves, fed us by instructing at a little
grass strip (now a shopping mall) in a Cub. When I stick my head in one
and get a whiff, I am transported back. I just wish a good Super Cub
didn't cost $100K today!!!!

Best luck and never miss the chance to share the experience with another
tricycle pilot.

Is that a Pitts or a Starduster?
Great Lakes...
Congrats FBJ on the tailwheel signoff.

Thanks!

Very very nice, Joe! Congrats! You can have so much fun in a Cub.

My earliest memory of an airplane goes back 51 years to when my Dad,
having left active Navy flying for reserves, fed us by instructing at a little
grass strip (now a shopping mall) in a Cub. When I stick my head in one
and get a whiff, I am transported back. I just wish a good Super Cub
didn't cost $100K today!!!!

Best luck and never miss the chance to share the experience with another
tricycle pilot.

Thanks!!!

- I'm now looking to fly a Citabria at a nearby airport to keep up my tail wheel proficiency, I know it's a bit different from a Super Cub but it's all I got local and available to play with. I'm not going to be able to do that much flying with the birds at work but I want to make sure I could jump in one at a moment's notice without panging it (my boss might not appreciate that!)

I'm looking to buy one for my company here soon - Brand new from Cub Crafters - almost $200,000!!! As far as me owning one personally, I think I'll have to build one from a kit or buy a wreck because I could never afford one.

Hey Joe - any word on what the Navy's doing with its fleet of T-34C? They'll be swapping them out for the T-6's over the next few years. That might be a sweet deal to go in on w/ some guys.

Hey Joe - any word on what the Navy's doing with its fleet of T-34C? They'll be swapping them out for the T-6's over the next few years. That might be a sweet deal to go in on w/ some guys.
I haven't heard much but those would be sweet to have. I hope some bureaucrat don't prevent them from being sold to the public because of the wing spar problems with the A and B models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back