TAMIYA 1:48 Kawanishi N1K1-Ja Shiden Type11 (George)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. T Bolt T Bolt Glenn, I don't have anything else to compare Vallejo with other than Tamiya Flat Aluminum but the ones in the 1oz bottles are far superior to that. They will never compare to enamel and lacquer based metallics but they are a close second. They are fragile if handled immediately but I always let them sit for 24+ hours before masking or sanding and find they will hold up just as well as Tamiya. I think that's where everyone else has a problem and all the hatred for Vallejo comes from. I've read good reviews about Mission Models Metals and if you want to stick with enamels, AK Interactive and Mr. Hobby also get good review but I guess it also depends on the reviewer. Masking up the George and will be spraying the topside camo shortly

Hola amigo!!

It's a nice, quick advance in the process of your namesake (a George by George).
I will take the time to be able to enjoy the process, to be able to enjoy other projects of the friends of the forum and to continue learning from this that I love and still cannot attend.

Un caluroso abrazo y saludos desde México =D>

Thank you for stopping in my friend. SANCER SANCER Que usted y los suyos pasen a salvo a través de esta terrible pesadilla que estamos atravesando y esperamos verlos pronto en mejores días.
Top coat done using Tamiya XF-11 J.N. Green

IMG_0002.JPG

Pretty stoked on two fronts. I masked the crap out of this on to avoid over-spray and when it all came off, not one bit of paint lift. However.....I noticed I hadn't fully covered the left side and cowl area when viewed at a certain angle so I taped off the underside and wing ID bands and reshot. Again, no Vallejo was harmed in the process. This included under the tail section. I enlarged the instructions, laid a piece of Oramask over it out, trimmed and laid on the model. Turned out great

IMG_0003.jpg

I'll let this set-up and then clear coat

Last edited:
Clear coat is on. I thought I would try and shoot the Liquitex Gloss. Not a lot of info out there so I went with the instructions on the label, "....can be thinned with 25% water....". It sprayed really well though I have never sprayed a gloss coat before so have nothing to compare against. The stuff dries fast and I hosed this stuff on. Though I've used Tamiya Panel Liner on Liquitex and it worked perfect, that was brushed on. So I'll test drive this on the elevator in the morning just to minimize any unforeseen problems

Thanks guys. I did a panel liner test drive on the cowl and the Liquitex held up. I'll start decals after coffee. I finally found pictures of the aircraft I am doing in a Polish book, both sides. It is quite scuffed up. Not one profile shows this. There are rectangular patches of what I take to be aluminum that are partially on the Hinomarus. Perhaps something patriotic scrubbed off?. I'll post a photo of the gloss coat before I start. Not as glossy as Future when its done right but it holds up. My one concern about spraying clear coats is, how do I know when the AB is clean. I doubled my cleaning and then two hours later sprayed some water through and all seemed to be good

Last edited:
Sniff. Sniff. An UN-painted marker light? May 1st...Zombie???

Actually looking forward to final photos as I have one myself.

I also stepped into the Valejo metal paints (not really stepped, but purchased) and am looking forward to my Spitfire application. Thanks for the time wait information, I will be masking it multiple times, black/white/upper RAF colors.

Lot of patience required Ralph. These decals are painful. I finally slathered on the Walther's....twice and nothing. Plus I think they may be at their past due date. I had to gloss coat the "data" stencil on under the elevator as it fell off. Quite a bit of silvering and I'm gonna blame the gloss coat and myself. I may have sprayed from too far away and it feels pebbly. I'll try once more with the Walther's and then try hot water

Thanks guys. I did a panel liner test drive on the cowl and the Liquitex held up.

Hi Geo - nice work on the George!! Thanks again for putting me onto the Liquitex as a clear coat. I used this "neat" on my Bf109 with no major ill affects to the airbrush or model, but I did note the following:
  • To make sure you get a good even coat with a good shine it needs to be layered on a little thicker than you might feel comfortable with - its a fine line before it's too thick and you get runs or sags.
  • It dries really quickly - I mean REALLY quickly! I did keep a wet q-tip on hand to make sure the AB nozzle did not dry up when spraying.
  • It will dry in the AB paint cup - I had to basically chip the residual out at one stage where I was a little slower in cleaning up after spraying.
  • It seems to dry to be quite hard. I found this quite reassuring as my experiences with the underlying Vallejo acrylic being a bit soft and easy to scratch were resolved.
I will try thinning this with 25% water to see how it goes - maybe it will slow the quick drying experience I had. Cheers!

Thank you for stopping in my friend. SANCER SANCER Que usted y los suyos pasen a salvo a través de esta terrible pesadilla que estamos atravesando y esperamos verlos pronto en mejores días.
Top coat done using Tamiya XF-11 J.N. Green

Pretty stoked on two fronts. I masked the crap out of this on to avoid over-spray and when it all came off, not one bit of paint lift. However.....I noticed I hadn't fully covered the left side and cowl area when viewed at a certain angle so I taped off the underside and wing ID bands and reshot. Again, no Vallejo was harmed in the process. This included under the tail section. I enlarged the instructions, laid a piece of Oramask over it out, trimmed and laid on the model. Turned out great

I'll let this set-up and then clear coat

I loved the message and that written in excellent Spanish (excelente Castellano)

Un abrazo :pilotsalute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back