Tamiya 1/48 Raiden (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

machine shop tom

Senior Airman
Apr 13, 2007
I finished this little bugger the other day. It's a Tamiya 1/48 J2M3 Raiden.

tom

Attachments

• Raiden 1.jpg
    Raiden 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Raiden 2.jpg
    Raiden 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Raiden 3.jpg
    Raiden 3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I changed the pics to some a little easier on the eyes. BTW, I really don't know whether or not it should be glossy. In fact, I'm not sure which WW2 aircraft should be glossy or matte. Any info to that effect would sure be appreciated. I could always spray some dullcoat on my models that need it.

tom

Raidens mostly had what you might call a 'satin' or dull matt finish depending on service life or how much talc was added to the original paint when it was applied. Early in the war Japanese paints were gloss but later in the war the final finish varied.....

If you like I can post a couple of reference pics..?

Raidens mostly had what you might call a 'satin' or dull matt finish depending on service life or how much talc was added to the original paint when it was applied. Early in the war Japanese paints were gloss but later in the war the final finish varied.....

If you like I can post a couple of reference pics..?
\

Sure, post away!

I do know that some pilots waxed their planes to make them faster.........

tom

That is true! ....for the Japanese later in the war this was the exception rather than the rule.
The early war Elite Carrier divisions aircraft were kept in mint condition, in this case the rule rather than exception...Pride and honour played a very large part!

Heading out for Easter Sunday visiting in a few moments so will post some pics tonight for you tom....

That is true! ....for the Japanese later in the war this was the exception rather than the rule.
The early war Elite Carrier divisions aircraft were kept in mint condition, in this case the rule rather than exception...Pride and honour played a very large part!

Heading out for Easter Sunday visiting in a few moments so will post some pics tonight for you tom....

Please do so at your convenience and thank you......

tom

Here are a couple of shots to digest...

The first and even the third you can see the shine to the satin type finish.

The middle shot doesnt really show any real reflective qualities and is the same aircraft as the third shot, but at a later date showing more paint chipping of the green paint and most likely more dull lustre to the paint finish as it should be reflecting the bright sunlight much more.

Ah , forgot to credit the photo's....
Famous Aircraft of the World No.61 - Navy Interceptor Raiden.

Attachments

• J2M_J2-34.jpg
    J2M_J2-34.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 605
  • 352-20_J2M3.jpg
    352-20_J2M3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 352_XX_J2M3.jpg
    352_XX_J2M3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 96
Nice model mate! At first I would have thought the gloss finish out of place, but I have an article on CAC Boomerang camouflage, which mentions some aircraft were almost completely glossy, the reason being ground crew would often be given 'cleaning duties' polishing their aircraft to keep them occupied during quiet moments.

Wayne's pics too prove some Raiden were glossy in any case. Good stuff guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back