tamiya 1/48th dambuster build, for 'wayne little'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think there are, from Aires or a similar company. A quick look through Hannants or Model Hobbies web-sites might give an answer. I still have most of a Merlin from the original Tamiya Lanc kit, which will eventually be used in a Mosquito diorama; the other one from the kit was used in a 1/48th Spit FRIX many years ago!

I think there are, from Aires or a similar company. A quick look through Hannants or Model Hobbies web-sites might give an answer. I still have most of a Merlin from the original Tamiya Lanc kit, which will eventually be used in a Mosquito diorama; the other one from the kit was used in a 1/48th Spit FRIX many years ago!

thanks, found an aires version which seems a lot more detailed than what tamiya offer.

Hi Ian, A friend of mine has just got hold of the grand slam Lanc with the motorized props.
He wants to do Taits Lanc that he flew on the Last raid on the Tirpitz, did it have the nose turret or was it removed.
His plane was KC roundel D

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Jay. First, please note that the 'Grand Slam' bombs were not used on the final Tirpitz raid. W/Cdr Tait's Lanc, EE146, used on the first and the last raid against Tirpitz in Norway, carried the 12,000 pound 'Tallboy' bomb. For the operation, the mid-upper turrets were removed from the Lancs, and the aperture faired over. The engines of the MkIII Lancs were also replaced with Merlin 24's, which gave a better performance, and this caused some confusion later, as the Lancs, with these engines, had now become MkI's!
The 22,000 pound 'Grand Slam' bomb was first used against the Bielefeld viaduct, on 14th March, 1945. The Lancasters that carried 'Grand Slam' had mid-upper and front turrets removed, the latter being replaced by a smooth fairing, a similar shape to the turret.

Cheers for the reply Airframes, my friend said that he can get a tallboy for the kit he has got but he seems to think that Taits lanc had the nose turret and not the nose fairing on the last attack on the Tirpitz on i think it was the 20th of September.

We have both tried researching to clarify this but have hit a dead end have you any more info on the subject it would be much appreciated.

Yes, the Lancasters retained the nose turret, and remained in standard Bomber Command night camouflage colours for all the ops during 'Paravane'. The first ops were a 'shuttle', from Scotland to Russia, whilst the last attack employed a Wellington auxiliary fuel tank in the fuselage, and a Mosquito drop tank, allowing the range to and from Lossiemouth, as the Tirpitz had moved closer, to Haak Island, four miles west of Tromso. The final raid, which caused Tirpitz to capsize, undertaken by 38 Lancs of 617 and 9 Squadrons, accompanied by a Film Production Unit Lanc (PD329), was on November 12th, 1944. One aircraft, LM448, landed in Sweden after the raid.
The FPU photographic Lanc had a cine camera installed in the nose turret, and was fitted with a wide-field-of-view hatch, with a detachable panel, in the fuselage, for a second camera.
If you think it might help, I can post an AVRO drawing of the 'Tallboy' installation.
Terry.

No probs mate. I'll dig out the drawing and post it later tonight.
BTW, whereabouts in Manchester are you? I'm not far away, in Macclesfield, Cheshire. Used to work in Manchester.
Terry.

Hi again mate. Yes, I know Duckinfield! One of my former wives (now sadly deceased) was from Denton, and I had clients in Hyde and Duckinfield.
Anyway, here's the AVRO drawing for the 'Tallboy' installation, which is from a 50th anniversary limited publication by the Royal Aeronautical Society.
Don't forget, the Lancs had the special bulged bomb doors, and were fitted with the SABS sight. All photos I've seen show the upper turret blanking as neat and painted, unlike the later 'Grand Slam' aircraft.
Hope this helps,
Terry.

Attachments

• 90 SQN.jpg
    90 SQN.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 205
You're welcome mate. I've got a pic in an old book of Tait and his crew standing by the side of his Lanc if it would help, although it's taken from the rear, port quarter, and the nose isn't visible. Also got a pic of one of the Lancs that went down in Russia, with the nose turret clearly visible.
Terry.

A bit later than intended, but here's the pics.
The first is Tait and his crew beside EE146, KC-D, whilst the second shows Lancaster WS-H, NF938, of 9 Sqn., down in the marshes near Talagi, 10 miles from Yagodnik, Russia, on 12th September 1944. The crew failed to find the airfield at Yagodnik due to poor visibility in low cloud, and were running out of fuel after an 11 hour flight. The Lanc was carrying 'Johhny Walker' bombs, not 'Tallboy', and these were jettisoned before the forced landing. Note the front turrey is clearly visible.
Terry.

Attachments

• 90 SQN 010.jpg
    90 SQN 010.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 90 SQN 011.jpg
    90 SQN 011.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back