tamiya 1/48th dambuster build, for 'wayne little'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi seesul,

Theres only two left in the world that are airworthy... one in the United Kingdom and one in Canada.

Don't forget about 'Just Jane' she is fully taxiable and if it wern't for the owners scared of putting her back in the air :( there would be three :shock:

heres three links to them 8) ..........

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Nanton Lancaster Society Air Museum

Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre

ian :D

Thx Ian,
what a shame that English one hasn´t attended this year´s FL in Duxford!

Help wanted. Tamiya 1/48th Grand Slam Lancaster kit, how does one attach the electric motors? There is a plastic shroud round each motor that has two keyways in it, but these do not locate in anything inside the nacelles. Surely the motors don't just hang in mid-air with the shaft protruding through the nacelle nose for the prop to fit onto?
Any suggestions please.

Attachments

• IMG_0104[1].jpg
    IMG_0104[1].jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0105[1].jpg
    IMG_0105[1].jpg
    80 KB · Views: 137
Sounds like you will need to make something to attach them to. A small bracket of some kind either under the motor or as Wurger says to the top of the cowling.

Strange that there is no part for this purpose?

Thank you for replying Wurger and Wayne Little. No the top cowlings are quite plain and do not touch the motor casing anywhere. I will make a support to fit underneath, which will also react against the force needed to push the props onto the motor shaft as they are a very tight fit.
Thanks from Geoff.

G'day goof. The plastic piece that surrounds the motor glues directly to the front of the cowel as per your first picture. You have to recess the electric motors so the plastic touches. On mine I had two different shaped engine cowels so i had two different mounting depths for the motors.

If you get too stuck drop me a line.
Cheers Switcha

G'day goof. The plastic piece that surrounds the motor glues directly to the front of the cowel as per your first picture. You have to recess the electric motors so the plastic touches. On mine I had two different shaped engine cowels so i had two different mounting depths for the motors.

If you get too stuck drop me a line.
Cheers Switcha

Hullo Switcha, thanks for your reply. Now you mention two different shaped cowlings I see mine are also different. One wing has plain holes, the other has a raised boss making it 1mm thicker. If I slightly enlarge the holes for the motor shaft then I will have plastic to plastic contact to glue the motors in.
Many thanks for your help, I'm sure everything will fit properly now.
Regards from
Geoff.

Very nice work Ian!

Please forgive me.....are the diagonal members of the support frames on the rear turret are sloping in the wrong direction?

th_FN121.jpg

Regards,
Mike

Very nice work Ian!

Please forgive me.....are the diagonal members of the support frames on the rear turret are sloping in the wrong direction?

th_FN121.jpg

Regards,
Mike

Hi mike i must get on my PC a bit more ! Now then about the support frames :shock: I can't believe they are on wrong. The left should be on the right and the right be on the left !!!:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: i've made 6 tamiya lancasters and i've never noticed it until you have brought it up.

The tamiya's instructions are WRONG and i never noticed, so far there has been four noticeable mistakes made by tamiya WELL SPOTTED Mike 8)

Stupid jap's :rolleyes: even on their new prop spinning version lanc the instructions are wrong.

BBMF PA474 rear turret......

I've never been so p!ssed off in my life, the Americans didn't bomb them good enough.

Take note of this guys if anyone is to build another tamiya lanc'.

I've got one to do next and i will remember this mike :whipitgood:

ian.

Hi Ian,

I'm not a modeler, but would it be possible to fix the turrets you have already built?

Here is a shot from my project....

th_turret-1.jpg

and the FN121 manual....

th_turretsuperstructure.jpg

Mike

Five more Lancs! What, in 148th. scale?
You must live in a hanger and have a huge wallet!!!
Nice aircraft though, isn't it?

Not got a huge wallet i just look out for bargins my last tamiya lanc' cost me £15 :lol:

I've also got a 1/48th Avro Lincoln :shock:

ian.

Hi Ian,
I'm not a modeler, but would it be possible to fix the turrets you have already built?
Mike

Hi Mike,
i've looked into this problem and it's not a simple case of swapping the supports over :!: When you do this the round section on the top of the support bangs onto the clear turret frame and you can't join the front and rear clear parts together :|

'Eduard' do a photo etch set and has these supports in the set, which are made to fit properly !

i would break my turrets if i tried to seperate them, so i'll leave them be, my next one will be correct though :p

Thanks for showing us all your project how long have you been doing it for ?

ian.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for showing us all your project how long have you been doing it for ?

ian.

Hi Ian,

My dad, brother and I have been working on our turret projects for over 12 years. Progress was quite slow for a number of years, but we now meet one night a week.

The turret pictured above is now only a few nuts and bolts away from being completely dismantled.

Regards,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back