tamiya 1/48th dambuster build, for 'wayne little'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Ian. Wow! £15? The last one I saw, other than the 'new' release, was £55.
I seem to recall I spotted that rear turret problem 28 years or so ago, but it's so long, I can't remember how I resolved it, although I've a feeling I might have moulded my own turret glazing. If I could figure out how to add an attachment to a 'quick reply', I'd post a pic of one of my Lanc paintings, prints of which were signed by the crew.

Is it possible to post a sticky about the fixes needed for the tamiya lancs? I knew the side windows needed fixing, and the tread on the tyres, and now it seems the gun mounts are wrong too! Is there anything else that's wrong with them?

Is it possible to post a sticky about the fixes needed for the tamiya lancs? I knew the side windows needed fixing, and the tread on the tyres, and now it seems the gun mounts are wrong too! Is there anything else that's wrong with them?

Outside Carbereter intakes on the nacelles are the wrong shape.

There should be shell ejection shutes on the rear turret.

Rear machine gun's are shown inverted on the instruction sheet, Should be pointing upwards.

Wing vents [part number's B61,B61] are shown the wrong way, The vent faces inwards of the wing.

Seat design in the kit show's ribbed seat's when they should be smooth leather.

Prop's in the kit are paddle blade and 99.9% of lanc's had needle tip prop's, make sure you have the correct ones, a Dambuster looks stupid with paddle blade prop's :oops:

Wing roundels supplied in the kit are too small.

Only early style shallow nose blister is supplied with the kit :twisted: Most early lanc's where retrofitted with the larger deep nose blister.

Wing tip lights are the wrong size.

Outside Carbereter intakes on the nacelles are the wrong shape.

There should be shell ejection shutes on the rear turret.

Rear machine gun's are shown inverted on the instruction sheet, Should be pointing upwards.

Wing vents [part number's B61,B61] are shown the wrong way, The vent faces inwards of the wing.

Seat design in the kit show's ribbed seat's when they should be smooth leather.

Prop's in the kit are paddle blade and 99.9% of lanc's had needle tip prop's, make sure you have the correct ones, a Dambuster looks stupid with paddle blade prop's :oops:

Wing roundels supplied in the kit are too small.

Only early style shallow nose blister is supplied with the kit :twisted: Most early lanc's where retrofitted with the larger deep nose blister.

Wing tip lights are the wrong size.

thanks for that, with the carbs are the belcher bits engine nacelles more accurate? I've got one set already and another couple on order for my 3 lancs.
I have the eduard exterior set that has shell chutes for the rear turret, the paragon narrow blade props and the three aussie planes I plan on building are all mark 1 versions which still had the early style nose blister in their pics. I have techmod decals which have a full set of roundels and stencils (although they spell jacking as jaking...) which seem better than the kits as well.
I also have the quickboost gun barrels which are excellent looking, pity they don't have the oval style cooling vents as many lancs seem to have those versions.
I plan on just filling the tread on the kits tyres.

thanks for that,I have techmod decals which have a full set of roundels and stencils.

Be a bit on your guard with the techmode lanc' decal's :shock: I had two sets of them and they all crinckled when i did a clear matt cote over them :evil: I think i showed pictures in my build thread somewhere of what happened to them.

It's a shame there are no oval cooling vents in the quickboost gun's :| go steady when your bending all that PE and remember don't spend hours making up the PE stuff if it can't be seen :rolleyes:

ian

Be a bit on your guard with the techmode lanc' decal's :shock: I had two sets of them and they all crinckled when i did a clear matt cote over them :evil: I think i showed pictures in my build thread somewhere of what happened to them.

It's a shame there are no oval cooling vents in the quickboost gun's :| go steady when your bending all that PE and remember don't spend hours making up the PE stuff if it can't be seen :rolleyes:

ian

what was the clear coat you used? So I can avoid it at all costs! :shock:

I use acrylics on my models, usually tamiya and now gunze

Hi Ian

Great work on this kite.
I've completed two Tamiya lancasters and share everyone's frustrations at the inaccuracies of the kit.

One of the big one's I've noted is that the nose section always looked too stubby! And sure enough, it is when compared to true references and actual aircraft. The panels should be more elongated, and that air vent under the front turret should extend beyond the aft line of the turret. The turret also looks too short and stubby.

Do you know if there was more than one type of FN5?
Because the one on the Australian G-George does look to be this shape yet others I have seen both wartime pics and modern, the turret is longer.
I've tried to put this down to angle of shot but it is becoming more obvious that this is not the case.

If you compare your pic of the drilled out fairings on page one with the real PO-S you'll see what I mean.

airvent.jpg

View attachment pos.bmp

Looking at the picture of mine compared to POS, mine has not got the turret fairing on !, so the air vent will actually go further back, also the picture was taken at an angle so you could see i had opened up the air vent.

But as you say it does look a bit ''stubby'' but not that bad that no one else has spotted it :oops: The tamiya air vent too looks shorter than POS ! and the direction finders are set back more than tamiya's [the H shaped things :!: ]

Tamiya modeled their lanc' actually from POS so i can't understand why they got it wrong ! who cares anyway it's still a fab model and can't wait for the new one to come out.

Just put up a couple of pictures of the nose of one of my old lanc's ! with the turret fairing on, and tried to replecate a picture of Hendon's Lanc' :shock:

My Hendon copy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i have got POS but it's rather tied up !

I thought there was only one sort of FN5, maybe theres someone wiser than me who who's !!!

So how come you've been on this forum for 9 MONTHS and this is your first post :?: mopedsmile:

ian.

Thanks for the info on the new Lanc, Ian. At that price, it's more like it! I'LL definitely be having one. Judging by the shots of the new model you posted, it looks like Tamiya have corrected the nose and nose turret too. It wasn't just the turret that was wrong on the original kit, the whole nose was 'off'. I wonder if they've corrected the Nav's area and bench, as that wasn't quite right either, although it was easily rectified.
Terry.

is there any 1/48 resin merlins that can be used to show maintenance work being done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back