Tamiya color chart for F6F-3 Hellcat (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aug 17, 2018
Does anyone know where I can find one of these? The colour scheme would be for the Pacific theater. Incidentally, even Tamyia doesn't have one. Go figure.:rage:

Thanks!

These websites has Tamiya paints for the various FS/ANA codes which were prevalent on tri-color F6F-3s:

Grumman F6F Hellcat Early War Camouflage Color and Paint Guide

Color Reference Charts - Federal Standard

And there was quite a good discussion here on the forum about choosing the right shade of these same coded paints, which seems to be a very subjective process for the most part:

Paint Question.....Any Help Appreciated
I went back and checked the kit and it's a F6F-5 late. This versiohn has an overall Gloss Sea Blue. The interior is standard cockpit green. They flew from the Randolph, Lexington, Cabot, and the Essex in the Pacific theater: 1944-1945.

I think XF-17 would be close enough...

17.JPG

Yes, that's what I ordered along with cockpit green. In the later years of the war in the pacific theather--1944-1945--Grumman used a dark blue scheme for the entire plane. Thanks!

The dark blue paint scheme gives the Hellcat a more sinister look, but I also like the tri-color paint scheme very much too. Good luck with your modeling project, I have a 1/32 scale Hasegawa F6F just dying to be put together, but at this point in time I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on what the subject aircraft will be.... :oops:

The dark blue paint scheme gives the Hellcat a more sinister look, but I also like the tri-color paint scheme very much too. Good luck with your modeling project, I have a 1/32 scale Hasegawa F6F just dying to be put together, but at this point in time I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on what the subject aircraft will be.... :oops:

Yes, that's true but it doesn't leave a lot of room for weathering since all of these later model Hellcats flew from carriers and I really enjoy doing weathering. The only solution would be to lighten the blue up a tad to give it a bit of a sun-bleach effect and possibly the effects of salt water although I have to admit, I'm not sure what that would look like. I'll have to do some research and see what I can dig up. And best wishes with your F6F as well. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will turn out just fine.
Cheers! :occasion5:

A light.grey panel wash as well

Great suggestion; I hadn't thought of that I had thought of using a wash but grey hadn't occurred to me as it should have. I will also do a bit of wear in the cockpit and some slight chipping about the wings, etc. And, of course, add some oil staining in the appropriate places. I'm thinking of using a base coast of flat white then seal it with flat clear before spraying it with the blue. This may lighten the blue up just enough to appear to have had a bit of fading from exposure to the sun. Any thoughts? Again, thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.

Yes, that's true but it doesn't leave a lot of room for weathering since all of these later model Hellcats flew from carriers....
Very true. The semi-gloss paint and polished wax finish also helped to keep the effects of wear-and-tear down a bit too. It will prove to be challenging for sure. The panel wash suggested by fubar57 and the lightened shade of blue sound like good ideas to go with. Maybe having different degrees of a glossy sheen throughout and chipped paint along panel lines will also help give the effect of daily use as well. Good luck with everything, I'm sure that it will be a fun project no matter what.

Very true. The semi-gloss paint and polished wax finish also helped to keep the effects of wear-and-tear down a bit too. It will prove to be challenging for sure. The panel wash suggested by fubar57 and the lightened shade of blue sound like good ideas to go with. Maybe having different degrees of a glossy sheen throughout and chipped paint along panel lines will also help give the effect of daily use as well. Good luck with everything, I'm sure that it will be a fun project no matter what.

The pic that Fubar posted was pretty much what I had in mind: I'll search for more. I think the underside of the fuselage and wings can remain pretty much the same as the original sea blue. Yes, I think it will be a fun project...and CHALLENGING.

Cheers mate!

:pilotsalute:

For the Dark Sea Blue - FS 15042 :

7-10% Scale Fade - the Tamiya XF17
15% Scale Fade - the Tamiya XF50
25% Scale Fade - the Tamiya XF24

I'm working on the F6F-5. Is this colour scheme for the 5 or the 3 or doesn't it matter?

No, the colours are for faded base colour the ANA 623 - FS15042. So.. the faded colour at 7% to 10% can be the Tamiya XF17. The more faded colour can be the Tamiya XF50 for instance.

My pleasure. I have edited my post above and attached the FS 15042 sample and a link to the site you may find helpful.

My pleasure I have edited my post above and attached the FS 15042 sample and a link to the site you may find ihelpful.

That is an outstanding help, not only for the Hellcat but other builds as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers mate! :occasion5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back