Tamiya color chart for F6F-3 Hellcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Additionally.. I have found the mix for the Non Specular Dark Sea Blue.. XF17:5 + XF8:3 + XF2:2.

Additionally.. I have found the mix for the Non Specular Dark Sea Blue.. XF17:5 + XF8:3 + XF2:2.

This is going to take some considerable thought and research. A lot of the builds that I've seen on Youtube of the F6F-5 are poorly done: no weathering, no after market parts, etc. Some of them look like they were just slapped together, sprayed, and done. That's not my idea of a build. Depending on the type of build I'm working on I'll take sometimes a month or more to try and get it just right: I don't care how long it takes.
:blush:

PS: Thanks for the additional information.

I see. The main problem is that the camo of late Hellcats wasn't that shabby. The maintence crews took care of the appearance of planes. As a result the weathering wasn't that heavy as it happened to the early ones. IMHO it was because of the quality of the late ANA 623. Therefore you have to be quite careful with the weathering and make it as subtle as possible.

BTW. The Tamiya XF17 seems to be of a little bit too greenish tinge than the DSB was ( it was of a bluish tone ) . Therefore I posted the mix above. The IPMS site with the Tamiya colour chart says that the FS number of the colour is the FS 34058 while the DSB is the FS15042. So.. there is a difference, Gloss Sea Blue, FS 15042 , is close to but not the same as ANA Gloss Sea Blue

Yes, that's true. But what I'm trying to achieve is subtle sun fading. Planes sitting on a carrier deck in the South Pacific would have shown a bit of fading. There will be a bit of wear in the tub and the surface with have the usual oil staining but I don't forsee much chipping as in the eariler F6F-3's.

I agree.. However it seems that these planes on carrires looked much better than these base at land bases. Here a couple of random pics. You might have seen them but please notice how clean the planes are.

F6F-5_Hellcat_USS_Suwanee_1945.jpg

F6F-5-Hellcat-USS-Randolp.jpg

F6F-5-Hellcat--USS-Tripoli-1945.jpg

F6F-5N_Hellcat_1945.jpg

The pic sorce: the Internet.

I agree.. However it seems that these planes on carrires looked much better than these base at land bases. Here a couple of random pics. You might have seen them but please notice how clean the planes are.

View attachment 506862

View attachment 506863

View attachment 506864

View attachment 506865

The pic sorce: the Internet.

Thanks! Here's also some decent ones.

f6f-5 hellcat colour - Google Search:

The following link has some really great shots of various parts of the plane: especially the engine.

f6f-5 hellcat colour - Google Search:

Yep. I know these sites too. Here two more shots of F6F-5 I found on my HDD. The Hellcats seem to be of more weathering. But it appears to be at the cockpit area and the exhaust outlets. The reason for that seems to be more because of the human's activity and exhaust fumes than the sun fadding.

F6F-5N_Hellcat_VMF-511_USS_Block_Island_(CVE-106)_in_February_1945.jpg

F6F-5_Hellcat_Takansis_Bay_1945.jpg

The pic source: the Internet.

Yep. I know these sites too. Here one more shot of F6F-5 I found on my HDD. The Hellcat seems to be of more weathering. But it appears to be at the cockpit area and the exhaust outlets. The reason for that seems to be more because of the human's activity and exhaust fumes than the sun fadding.

View attachment 506867

The pic source: the Internet.

Here's an interesting build. I'm not sure how accurate the weathering is but it was stationed aboard the USS Essex.
1/48 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat by Laurent Boildieu

Rather than spend time mixing paints I would recommend this:

Model Air

Everything you need (exterior wise) in one box and it will cover the entire of the pacific Theatre
I have the paint collection for Trumpeters F4F-4 and it is correct to original chips! Don't know when I'll get around to it!

The trouble is that not always items available here in the Europe can be bought across the pond. What is more the shipping can make the entire bargain unprofitable if compared to the wee time needed for mixing. ;)

Agreed. While I am switching more and more to Vallejo, its hard for me to get and the shipping is sometimes twice the price of the paint. I'm working on a supplier from Japan but I need the Canadian dollar to get to $.80+U.S. before it becomes cheaper than buying in North America

Rather than spend time mixing paints I would recommend this:

Model Air

Everything you need (exterior wise) in one box and it will cover the entire of the pacific Theatre
I have the paint collection for Trumpeters F4F-4 and it is correct to original chips! Don't know when I'll get around to it!

Yes, this looks like an excellent paint scheme. I put in my wish list since I already purchase several Tamiya paints and if these don't meet my expectations I get the paint kit from Model Air. Thanks!

Agreed. While I am switching more and more to Vallejo, its hard for me to get and the shipping is sometimes twice the price of the paint. I'm working on a supplier from Japan but I need the Canadian dollar to get to $.80+U.S. before it becomes cheaper than buying in North America

I found a chap in Hong Kong who sells Tamyia paints on eBay--large bottles--for about 3 quid with free shipping. I ordered six bottles and it came to $26. Of course, it takes a while to get them but the price is right. In the states they sell the same product and tack on shipping for about the same amount as the product. Here's the site:
Tamiya Color X1 To X35 Gloss & XF1 To XF86 Acrylic Paint Model Kit Authentic New | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Also I found a couple more showing the plane with the different number of victories It seems all of them show the kite wearing the camo of a very good condition. The exception are the areas behind the exhausts and at the wing root.

Aircrew-USN-CDR-David-McCampbell-Commander-Air-Group-15-in-his-F6F-5-Hellcat-Minsi-III-01.jpg

Aircrew-USN-CDR-David-McCampbell-Commander-Air-Group-15-in-his-F6F-5-Hellcat-Minsi-III-02.jpg

Aircrew-USN-CDR-David-McCampbell-Commander-Air-Group-15-in-his-F6F-5-Hellcat-Minsi-III-03.jpg

Aircrew-USN-CDR-David-McCampbell-Commander-Air-Group-15-in-his-F6F-5-Hellcat-Minsi-III-04.jpg

Aircrew-USN-CDR-David-McCampbell-Commander-Air-Group-15-in-his-F6F-5-Hellcat-Minsi-III-05.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Here is David Mc Campbell's F6F-5 Hellcat Minsi III BuNo 70143 with 19 victories marked.. USS Essex .. 25th October 1944

View attachment 507044

the pic source: Grumman F6F 5 Hellcat Minsi III BuNo 70143 Cdr David McCampbell CV 9 USS Essex 25th Oct 1944 01

Thanks Wurger! Those are some great shots. I did notice--especially in the first photo--that there is conderable wear near the wing root. Also, in shots of the whole plane one can see slight weathering along the wing tips. In colour photos I've seen of the F6F-5 in combat there is considerable sun bleaching, not the highly polished deep blue one sees in the restoratation of museums pieces. I know that the crews took especial care to keep these birds in tip-top condition but they didn't have the time to muck about giving them a new coat of paint.

Cheers!;)

I noticed that in this photo a couple of the VF-12's aircraft had what looks to be peeling/chipped white paint on the fabric covered control surfaces. Being squadron identification colors, the white most likely was applied directly over the smooth factory glossy blue paint which allowed for this to eventually occur. This might be a way to show some weathering/combat use I would think.
F6F-5-Hellcat-USS-Randolp paint peeling2.jpg

I noticed that in this photo a couple of the VF-12's aircraft had what looks to be peeling/chipped white paint on the fabric covered control surfaces. Being squadron identification colors, the white most likely was applied directly over the smooth factory glossy blue paint which allowed for this to eventually occur. This might be a way to show some weathering/combat use I would think.
View attachment 507065

Yes, I agree. No plane which had any length of time in combact would come out squeeky clean. There would be wear including fading from the tropical sun and sea salt from deck wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back