Tamiya Decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Flash_Taco

Airman
May 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
I hope this question has not been posted before and I'm being repetitive. I had a problem using tamiya decals: I painted a model with tamiya acrylics, let dry for a day and then applied 2-3 layers of future and let dry overnight. I applied decals, eliminated excess water and waited 10 minutes before adding mr mark softener solvent (Which I have used with aftermarket decals with success) The decal wrinkled as typically before it snuggles on the surface, only many of the decals remained grossly wrinkled. Nothing has worked to eliminate the wrinkles and at this point I know I have to strip them off. Is there any known issue with tamiya decals? I have had zero problems with after-market decals (Aeromaster, Yellow wings etc)

Best regards.

I've not experienced any major issues but have not used the product you mention. I use Solvaset and have learned through experience to wipe off excess solution before the wrinking starts as I've had decals deform and tear if there was a drop left on them.

Hi, CR,

I did clean the excess I believe, although maybe not extensively. Either way this does not happen with the other brands i mentioned before. On an article it was described that Japanese decals are thick in nature but if you place them on the right spot in the first try they will conform well without solvent, and will look right after the future coat is applied. I don't know if this is true, but won't be using Mr Mark on tamiya decals anymore. Any other feedback will be most appreciated. BTW I will be buying Solvaset to try on a tamiya decal and see what happens. Thanks for your help CR.

Best regards.

Last edited:
I haven't ued that product either, as I normally use just Micro Sol, not bothering with Micro Set. I have noticed that I only need to use a very small amount with Tamiya decals normally though.

If I don't know how the decals will react I start out with the least aggressive solution like Micro Set, although I have had it turn Future milky so I've been staying away from that lately and usually start out with Micro Sol. Solviset is the big gun I use when a decal is stubborn and doesn't react to anything else, but be careful with it as it will destroy some more delicate decals just like what happened to you.. It's always worked until yesterday with some stubborn Hobbycraft decals that nothing worked on.

Great, so I followed Terry's and T Bolt recommendation and picked up Micro Sol from the local store. I will test it on a decal from the same batch that went wrong and let you know how it goes. Thank you gents for your kind help.

Best regards.

Have used plenty of Tamiya decals, while they are thicker than most, I have not had issues with them. Have used the Mr Mark softener myself. and years ago when i had it Solvaset, but this stuff is strong usually I would apply and quickly soak up most of the applied softener and reapply in bits especially and only to the area that required it.
Tamiya and Hasegawa decals can be "pushed" down into panel lines if done carefully. I use my fingernail and roll it along the panel line back and forward to stretch the decal into the panel line....very carefully though, then assist it with some softener...

Agree, and if the decal is really stubborn I run a #11 blade along the panel line then add more solution. Doesn't always work, but even if the decal doesn't go in the panel line the slit will hold some of the panel line wash and give the impression of a panel line.

Gentleman,

Just to do some follow up on the problem with Tamiya decals I wanted to report that I used MicroSet and it worked perfectly,although this time I was sure to clean the excess with a cotton swab. As an experiment I decided to try a tamiya decal with Mr Mark Softener also cleaning well the excess and the result was very similar to MicroSet. Since I had enough tamiya decals I tried a third decal using Mr Mark, only this time I did not wipe off the excess as good and as result the decal shows deformation. As trivial as it might seem, this could happen to someone else, so I am glad to share my recent experience so it does not happen to someone else in the future.

Best regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back