Tempest V in Il2 1946

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I went after some JU88s' lastnight in a Tempest. That bird flies very smoothly. I was able to make accurate shots at about 800 meters. Pulling away fromclose range though can be tricky. A couple of times I thought I was shot down but was just in a stall. I will try to dogfight some 109s' today in it to see how it does.
Any tips?

I will try to dogfight some 109s' today in it to see how it does.
Any tips?
Bf 109 version? Bf 190F/G2/G6 BnZ, fly fast
Late Bf turn some like tempest and bf is slowly.
Go to low alt. Max 3km. idela 1000-2000m

If you turnfight any of the Bf-109's in the Tempest then you will lose, so don't do that. Do like Les said, Boom Zoom, utilize your higher dive acceleration and low alt speed advantage.

In my experience flying online now for about 2 months Tempest pilots tend to run when a 109 shows up, and I can understand why cause it is so easy for a 109 to get on their tail in a dogfight.

Actually it is my experience that once you're on the Tempests tail, even in a Fw190, the Tempest can't shake you off if you know what you're doing. And if the Tempest turns it has always been easy for me to cut inside and shoot it to pieces.

And for the reasons above the Dora is my prefered crate if there are many Tempests around, cause fi you're in a Bf109 they often refuse to fight you and run away, and since you're slower at low alt t nearly always succeeds. In the Dora however you can catch them, and to top it off it is quicker in all maneuvers.

The most important thing however to be successful in any a/c is to get accustomed to its critical AoA, you have to know exactly when to loosen the stick to prevent stalling while still keeping the turn tight. And a small trick to tighten the turn a minimal amount more is to be good with the rudder, if you combine it just right you will be able to tighten your turn a little more.

Thanks guys. I have gotten very used to the Me 109 F4 and later variants and can turn them on a dime (especially the G2). You do get the feel of it and can yank that crate around. I haven't spent much time with the Tempest. I have been flying the P-40 quite a bit and that is definantly good practice for the "boom and zoom". Though the stall characteristics are not as bad as the Tempest it seems.

LesOfPrimus, this is off the track of this thread, but I just got a look at your IL-2 video. Nice! Heavy metal music just seems to go with war footage - I guess it's the general mayhem theme. There's a site you may very well know about, where you can enter your IL-2 machinima videos for valuable gifts and prizes (or at least accolades) at Flight Sim Movies | Home.

Venganza

Thanks alot Veng... I did not know about that website and will check it out... U think my stuff is good enough to make an impression there??

Glad to be of help. Their standards are pretty high, but you did good work. Since you've already done the video, it's worth a shot. If nothing else, you might get some ideas for other videos. By the way, can you recommend any cheap video capture software? I know about Fraps, I've got a demo version of it, but that's about it. You can PM me on that; I don't want to hijack this thread.

Venganza

The Tempest, in the IL2 game, does not impress me, BUT, I dont fly online...

The first problem, when flying off-line, is: Tempest IL2 AI is pathetic! :|

I set up several all-AI battles between late-war fighters (Tempests, Doras, Ta152H, Bf109K, La7, Ki-84, N1K2, ...) and it seems to me Tempests are amongst the worse, likely THE worst AI-flown planes, at least at Veteran and Ace level! (there is much less difference if you set planes at Rookie or Average)

In fact:
- very often AI Tempests don't shoot even when having the enemy straight ahead at 150 mt! Almost every other AI planes I observed shoot from 100 to 400 (and sometimes even 500 mt), every time they have the chance.

- Tempest AI aiming skill is usually very poor, even when in favourable position and without deflection, and often misses the target in spite of the powerful guns.

- they almost never try a deflection shot when crossing EA trajectory and almost never hit when try! On the contrary, for example the new FW190D-13 mod is very good at making crossing shots, they quite easily hit the targets.

- looking at an AI Tempest pursuing an EA on the deck, also having some alt advantage (the most favourable condition, for any plane but even more for a low-alt fighter like the Tempest!) is almost invariably hilarious: it usually shoots, misses the target, the EA dives a little bit more, the Tempest shoots, misses again, then ... suddenly he decides that he is flying too low (even if EA is still much lower ...), stops the chase, climbs and turns away, leaving the EA unhurted and free to escape! Absolutely pathetic ... :evil:

- although more difficult to determine, it seems to me they rarely adopt true BnZ tactics, whereas I observed Me262, FW190D and even late-war Yaks constantly BnZooming, diving an then climbing to regain height.

On the contrary, I found that Ta152H AI at Ace/Veteran has a "superhuman" skill, very good in flying and, above all, superb in shooting, for sure the best overall AI I've found so far in IL2. :eek:
The new FW190D-13 AI is good too, but not so much.

The second problem (both for on-line and off-line) is: IL2 Tempest DM model is too much weak, so it's quite easy to shot it down.
Some months ago I found on the net info from "disassembled" DM files and, surprise!, found that Tempest is modelled quite weakly in body and, above all, is strikingly weak in engine! Just to explain: its engine toughness is set at less than half the value used for other liquid-cooled engine like FW190D and Ta152H engines and much less than half of the P51D Merlin (that's really incredible :shock: )! Even BF109K DB605, although not really tough, is modelled a little bit stronger than Tempest's Sabre.
It seems to me that the Tempest modellers thought that because Napier Sabre engine had historically a lot of reliability issues, it had to be particularly weak to enemy hits too! :lol: Which, of course, isn't at all proved or even suggested by history ...
So, we have a large plane, easy to hit, which is weakly modelled too!

The third problem, of course, is that the standard IL2 Tempest is just the +9lbs, which is not very significant from an historical point of view and, for sure, is not so dangerous for BF109K and late FW190D.
Some also say that even its fire rate is undermodelled, I don't know the issue so I avoid comments here ...

I am testing the new +13lbs mod and it is quite better in performance, even if not so stable (due to higher torque) and therefore a worse shooting platform.
I didn't tested the +11lbs yet (which is the Tempest most significant variant).

All in all, for sure in game Tempest isn't overmodelled, like someone has said elsewhere, maybe one could say it's undermodelled ... ;)
The new mods could partly amend that (although at present +13lbs seems to me clearly overmodelled in speed at high alts at least, hope they correct the mistake).

CloCloZ, I have to agree with you there, I've seen some things in-game that I have to question, as far as flight models go.

Without going into too much detail, I'll at least say that when an IL-2 out-climbs my Fw190A-8 with boost, I start to wonder.

It's too bad that the FMs in IL-2 weren't done like the AVHistory 1% Flight Models made for CFS3. Those are certified, and are a real joy to both fly and fight against.

CloCloZ, I have to agree with you there, I've seen some things in-game that I have to question, as far as flight models go.

Without going into too much detail, I'll at least say that when an IL-2 out-climbs my Fw190A-8 with boost, I start to wonder.

It's too bad that the FMs in IL-2 weren't done like the AVHistory 1% Flight Models made for CFS3. Those are certified, and are a real joy to both fly and fight against.

IRL Tempest climb better then A8, its ok.

Speaking of crazy AI planes, has anyone noticed that 190s (all models) resort to hit and run attacks EVERY TIME! It drives me nuts, I know that they can turn well if flown with even a basic understanding of wing loading and "pulling too hard" in the turn. But every time, those fools zoom up to 2, 3 thousand meters and then zip down on to my butt, guns blazing. It's ridiculous. Not even a Spit can keep up with their climb. That can't be accurate.

Speaking of crazy AI planes, has anyone noticed that 190s (all models) resort to hit and run attacks EVERY TIME! It drives me nuts, I know that they can turn well if flown with even a basic understanding of wing loading and "pulling too hard" in the turn. But every time, those fools zoom up to 2, 3 thousand meters and then zip down on to my butt, guns blazing. It's ridiculous. Not even a Spit can keep up with their climb. That can't be accurate.

I'm pretty sure AI pilots cheat all the time, which is really annoying imo. They seem to have only a very basic flight model and also a performance boost. At first I just thought I sucked, but now I'm quite decent but still they constantly outclimb me even if they have much shittier planes. Plus their overdone evasive maneouvres piss me off.

I think I'll try that old AI mod HS linked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back