The B-17 Flying Fortress Was The Most Overrated Bomber Of World War 2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He writes mainly about Japanese Domestic Market cars, and "classis jets" so his aviation knowledge is weak.

Literally what he gleans from wiki and other sources. He has no true depth of knowledge.

That being said, yes, by wars end the B-17 was eclipsed by several bombers. Notably the B-29.

But over rated is never a term I would use for that aircraft.

He writes mainly about Japanese Domestic Market cars, and "classis jets" so his aviation knowledge is weak.

Literally what he gleans from wiki and other sources. He has no true depth of knowledge.

That being said, yes, by wars end the B-17 was eclipsed by several bombers. Notably the B-29.

But over rated is never a term I would use for that aircraft.

I've read a couple of his articles about planes. I'm not sure he knows his ass from third-base on the matter. 8th AF aircrew had differing opinions, preferring the -17 to the -24. I think they'd know better than this guy.

To be fair, the range of the -24 made the decision to remove -17s from the Pacific rational. But in Europe, the B-17 was a fine bomber and did yeoman's work. Time takes its toll and yes, by the end of the war it was obsolete. But we can say that about many other famous designs which both started and finished the war -- P-38, Me-109, Wellington, and so on.

Last edited:
DId the wife find out?

Almost, but it was grounds for divorce:

OfWingsThings2-XB-38.jpg

I've read a couple of his articles about planes. I'm not sure he knows his ass from third-base on the matter. 8th AF aircrew had differing opinions, preferring the -17 to the -24. I think they'd know better than this guy.

To be fair, the range of the -24 made the decision to remove -17s from the Pacific rational. But in Europe, the B-17 was a fine bomber and did yeoman's work. Time takes its toll and yes, by the end of the war it was obsolete. But we can say that about many other famous designs which both started and finished the war -- P-38, Me-109, Wellington, and so on.
P38? My father was in the fourth year of his WW2 by the time the P38 was in service use.

P-38 was not in service when the war started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back