The B-24H and J Liberator.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
After snapping up Monograms old faithful 1/48 B-24J, I was thinking of doing 'Aquaria', M*2S, from the 486th BG. Two reasons, Aquaria(us) is my starsign and 'M' is the 13'th letter in the alphabet... (I know) :oops:
But, this is an H and not an J. Reading about the modifications made and the later J versions, is there a major difference between the H and J?
Does anyone know how many mission this bird flew and her fate?

Attachments

• KW48024b.jpg
    KW48024b.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 206
  • KW48024a.jpg
    KW48024a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
As far as the model is concerned, there were no major external differences between the H and J types. Both could have differences in the nose turret (Emerson or Ford) and nose windows, bombardiers window and cockpit windscreen. Far as I know, the real differences were in internal and electrical equipment, and some engine detail, none of which are visible on a model.
Haven't found anything on how many missions old chap.

You may need to look at the waist windows as well.
The H model introduced a clear sealed plexiglass window with a K-6 gun mount
They introduced them on the -20 Block, the serial number you want to do is a Block -15
You might have to confirm with a photo
Mike

She's called "The Jinx" from the 490th BG
Serial 42-94387

"Flown by Lt. Thomas Keyes, the crew were the 13th assigned to the 490th BG. As a result, they covered the nose of 'The Jinx' with numerous 'bad luck' symbols in an attempt at reverse psychology on good old 'lady luck'. On the opposite side of the nose was a wonderful huge piece of art of a fluffy black cat."
(from WW2Color.com :: Search)

Mike

Great pic and good info. Here's a shot of the enclosed waist window on the B24 at Duxford.

Attachments

• Czech 173.jpg
    Czech 173.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 227
Where the.......eeeerrrrmmmm.....something.....would I get the decals!? :lol:

Also toying with the idea of getting a B-24D and do a Ploesti bird.... 'Sandman', 'Vagabond King' or something... :oops: :lol:

Last edited:
There were many more A/C named Sleepy Time Gal...
But how many "jinx" had a black cat on the port side?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back