Wich was the best tank/tankhunter in the Kursk-Orel battle

• Klimenti Vorozhilov KV-1S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Churchill Mk-III/IV

• Panzer III ausf.M

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Schwarzpanzer:

Yes, I grew up there.

I do not think SU-152s came close to destroy 7-9 Ferdinands at Kursk Schwarz. I say this because of the opinions of the people I had the chance of discussing Kursk with.

Right, you mentioned one point i have heard in the past: the hastily training received by most soviet crews during the entire war. Add to inferior optics -or the lack thereof- the fact the soviet guys manning such AFVs were trained real fast to be sent to the front and they are at disadvantage.

The sole problem, as I said, is the fact there were too few Ferdinands, while the SU-152s and other heavy soviet self-propelled artillery were produced in far bigger numbers.

Schwarz, I have not found any solid evidence which might indicate, much less prove, Wehrmacht equipment was "unreliable".

That perhaps one or two of the 13 -thirteen only- Ferdinands lost during the entire Kursk battle might have been lost due to mechanical problems, that does not imply the machines were "unreliable", do you agree?

Quite the contrary, and I digress, the numbers of the Ferdinand indicate we talk about one of the most fearsome tank killers ever made.

It would be like saying the soviets never lost any T-34s due to mechanical problems, you bet they lost a number due to this cause.

The soviets had their own trouble in this department. What about bad quality or poor welding work? After not too many hours of combat action -gun recoil force, not too mention getting hit by enemy shells- sections of the vehicles would crack as a consequence of welding problem. And this happened virtually throughout the entire war to the soviets.

So at Kursk the Ferdinands did not "break down", and the Tigers "did not break down".

If I recall correctly, the "Panther Issue" as has been broadcasted by soviet mythology deserves special treatment. I do not have Nipe´s great book in this place, but I read it no less than 4 times and it has been found a very simple fact: THERE WERE NO PANTHERS IN PROKHOROVA, which was the fundamental tank action in the salient.

So the Panthers did not "break down" as suggested by the soviets.

Erich´s comments telling of more and more catastrophic losses of tanks in late 1944 pretty much show the soviet style of waging war. Rivers of blood at the disposal of soviet commanders to ensure victory.

What propaganda shots are shown of Ferd's popped are actually ones that blew a track because of mines or were abandoned. the beast were slow and could not be moved the original intake as an offensive weapon was changed over to the defence and what a lethal pile of metal the Fered was too with that long range 88 nothing could touch it at the time if well hidden.

As to the W-SS Korps at Prokh. there were not any Panthers with the W-SS during the Kursk engagement. Pics show Das Reich Panther D's during the battles for the Mius in August of 43 where they took on T-34's time and time again and destroyed them. Books showing W-SS panzer personell in Panthers at Kursk are quite incorrect. And it was during this almost forming up time with Das Reich that W-Ss crews found out the problems they were to face with the new machines, no hull mg for one and a crappy hard to open turret cupola. Optics were outstanding and remained so till wars end

Erich said:
CB I have seen the 1st and 3rd reference and I was not impresssed, especially the 3rd with Soviet news agency pics from all through the war and not necessairly at Kursk.

have you tried true German sources as Geroge Nipes work on the Kursk?mius Battles and probably the best German source from Kommanduer Sylvester Stadler ~ W-SS Die Offensive gegen Kursk 1942, Munin Verlag.

I have the bibldbands of 1st, 2nd W-SS and nothing seems to appear that a small diametre hit could pop the deck and turret off a German tank. A larger round such as a 122mm obviously and alos at close range. soviet tanks on the other hand a 37mm tungsten round from a Mk 103 could pop a T-34's lid right off given a lucky hit at the turret base............oh well on it goes.

please site the sources of your photo content please even if they are personal. We need to start doing this, as I have got some personal mails to that effect from other research chaps the last weeks

First of all it was not my intention to impress anybody, the sources of the pics are the books I ve posted, those are scans.

And thanks for your data but honestly I dont think that I could find that book in my city or even Buenos Aires, I will try E mule.

I will not consider a 76mm hit from a ZIS-3 AT gun a "small diameter" hit specially when we talking about the Panzer III armor.

Now...off course some pics from the russian side are prepared like this next to a Ferdinand wich was blew up by his crew.

ferdinanddestruidotrip5za.jpg

did I say you were trying to impress............ NO, I gave my personal opinion so do not be alarmed. CB you will have to order from Germany. A 50mm against a Pz III could pop it's top, but truthfully where are we going with all of this .............nowhere. Simply put the Soviet claims to actual German losses are nothing compared to what has been written in Soviet propagaanda books and taken as hard fact. I have a few old Kursk books I picked up in the 70's and they are going right into the bon-fore this spring.

give your sources please for the pics if you would, not just say they were taken from those books you listed. Please be specific. My intent is to do the same if I use others books, my data base is huge of fotos collected from over the many 40 years but ......... I run across an intersting net image from time to time that I haven;t seen before

Gruß

give your sources please for the pics if you would, not just say they were taken from those books you listed. Please be specific. My intent is to do the same if I use others books, my data base is huge of fotos collected from over the many 40 years but ......... I run across an intersting net image from time to time that I haven;t seen before

The books Erich, the books. You can dowload that from here. They are in PDF format readable with Adobe acrobat.

http://www.aeronautics.ru/literature2.htm

----------------

Not from Kursk but interesting video of a Panther shooting at KV-1, check how the turret is lifted in the air and large piece of metal is blew up for the internal explotion caused by the 7 kg Panzergranate 39.

Attachments

• kv_blew_up_214.mpg
    218 KB · Views: 64
Erich:

the popping off the top of the deck would not be caused from a 76mm or 57mm round, they are internal blow outs

The round could have set the ammo and fuel in the tank off. It could also have been a self-destruct, bomb or 152mm shell.

I'm pretty sure Katyushas were used at Kursk IIRC?

The Su 152 was not a noted German panzer killer but more of heavy concrete pillbox buster.

That's the KV-2 you're thinking about. Only ever fired HE shells, but could still easily deal with pre-'42 Panzers.

Kursk was nearly a Phyric victory. It's very sad, but Soviets could be replaced, Germans could not. Also at this point Hitler hadn't joined Stalin in sending 'his people' happily to certain death.

After Kursk, despite higher losses, the Soviets could continue attacks - the Germans could not.

nothing could touch it at the time if well hidden.

It's hard to hide a priority target (same with Firefly).

the Soviet claims to actual German losses are nothing compared to what has been written in Soviet propagaanda books and taken as hard fact.

Also the German claims of Soviet losses aren't 100% correct either, believe it or not.

I have a few old Kursk books I picked up in the 70's and they are going right into the bon-fore this spring.

Don't do that! If you don't want them, perhaps I could have them?

delcyros:

Can anyone provide a good link for the involved
tanks?

http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/vy75/gkillr~1.htm

With these datas I should be able to extrapolate each unit´s immune zone against each other in theory. This may stop the discussion wether a gun can penetrate the armor of a Ferdinand or not.

The data's on that link. I think everybody knows this, it seems to be a huge East vs West Propaganda-thon.

CharlesBronson:

I have an nterest in after-action combat report. The Russian one on the Grant says "mediocre tank-destroyer".

It did OK in NA. 'till the Pak38 50mm L60 showed up (along with the 88 obviously).

the ruskies like it because it did not explode went hit and it cath fire very slowly allowing in the majority of the cases a safe bail out by his crew.

My uncle's (MkVII) was hit in the engine compartment - when he was working on the engine!

Soren:

There is no Allied AT gun that could pop the turret off a Tiger or Panther.

The Soviet guns 122mm 152mm definately could do it to a Panther. Don't know about anything else, though it's possible.

The ammo-brewing up arguement:

Soviet tanks(1), and those mainly used against 'soft' targets(2) generally brewed up best (or worst, depending).

This was because of:

(1) Better HE shell performance and hence bigger explosion.

(2) More HE shells, so again a bigger bang.

Tiger's weren't indestructible, talk about Soviet propaganda!

Udet:

Add to inferior optics -or the lack thereof- the fact the soviet guys manning such AFVs were trained real fast to be sent to the front and they are at disadvantage.

But the Soviets have always been trained to overwhelm with volume of fire, rather than slow-firing accuracy. This tactic is devestating, but carries a horrible casualty penalty. The Soviets could afford to do this, the Germans could not. The Germans even tried this technique on at least one occasion - needless to say, it was a shambles.

The sole problem, as I said, is the fact there were too few Ferdinands

At one point they were rushed into a village! Close combat is a foolish technique to apply to this vehicle.

the SU-152s and other heavy soviet self-propelled artillery were produced in far bigger numbers.

That is of course a factor 'We've lost 20? - Plenty more where they came from'... etc

Schwarz, I have not found any solid evidence which might indicate, much less prove, Wehrmacht equipment was "unreliable".

This was from German and Russian sources. I have one from Kursk on another thread, but that is more on poor Panther quality - not so much poor design. I have info on the Maybach's failings, if you want?

That perhaps one or two of the 13 -thirteen only- Ferdinands lost during the entire Kursk battle might have been lost due to mechanical problems, that does not imply the machines were "unreliable", do you agree?

The Ferds were heavily re-engineered to be simple (StuG's). Their main problem's at kursk was; poor mobility (speed floatation), mobility kills, large target and bad usage IMHO.

the numbers of the Ferdinand indicate we talk about one of the most fearsome tank killers ever made.

Oh yes! :twisted: A much feared enemy on the Battle of Berlin, as they didn't suffer from quality problems as some Panther/KonigsTiger's did.

It would be like saying the soviets never lost any T-34s due to mechanical problems, you bet they lost a number due to this cause.

Yes, but there were a lot of them. e.g. 1/50th was about equal to total Tiger I production (1,000).

What about bad quality or poor welding work?

Strong enough, without being fancy (like the STEN).

sections of the vehicles would crack as a consequence of welding problem.

Whilst the steel alloys were better than the Panzer's, the metalworking/finishing was usually far inferior (but the welding was OK).

So at Kursk the Ferdinands did not "break down", and the Tigers "did not break down".

I honestly don't know, but if reports say they did - it seems reasonable to accept them, given the 'beasts' reputations?

THERE WERE NO PANTHERS IN PROKHOROVA

That's because they broke down at the railhead IIRC.

Rivers of blood at the disposal of soviet commanders to ensure victory.

I know and agree, but it still works. Sledgehammer vs Stiletto.

The air battles here were also very, very important. I think they need discussing more...

too many quotes Schwarz..........

The Das Reich Panthers were not even close to the actions at Kursk and were still forming up.

an early quote, the Ferds could be well camo'd in buildings, sounds silly but it was true. In one case reported in a Russian village a single Ferd popped off 18 T-34's with the awarding of the RK to the Kommandeur of the German machine

an early quote, yes I know full well about German armor cliams but it appears that the Svoviets over emphasized theirs with the awarding of way too many medals in the field, especially with the Soviet air forces.

you are quite correct the Air battles and ground attack performance of the Soviets/Luftwaffe should be discussed as it is an integral part of the Kursk atmosphere. Anyone can go back to the tank buster thread and read the translation work I presented on several Luftw. notables who pounded Soviet armor at the July 43 engagement, Bruno Meyer and his gruppen come to mind first, but the Ju 87G's also made a lasting impression on the Soviets

good T-34 profiles.

CB go back and look at the hit on the KV -1, it appears the turret slidoff slightly on the deck but the top side or one of the protective side plates completely blew off the turret ? my opinion. Others ?

The Soviet guns 122mm 152mm definately could do it to a Panther

No Schwarz, the Soviet 122mm and 152mm guns could not pop the turret off a Panther by sheer kinetic energy, so stop fantasizing about it, OK.

It has been 2-3 years but I recollect a thread on another forum about Kursk. In it, it was mentioned that quite a few of the Panthers lost was because they attempted to pass through a known mine field.

Anyways, went looking for the forum and came up with this link, http://www.1jma.dk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4870&SearchTerms=Panther

The first Tigers (2 iirc) knocked out in North Africa were from British 6pdr AT guns(57mm).

Erich:

Sorry for the Quotes, I'll try and keep it to a minimum. :oops:

The Panther's weren't there because they broke down. Some even self-destructed. What use is a tank if it can't even move under it's own power??

I now about the Ferd hidden behind/in houses.

Too many medals? Yeah, a load of Mutley wannabes? (asthmatic laugh :lol: )

You want your soldiers to know you're proud of them and appreciate them though.

The air battles is, to me:

1. Gaining Air superiority (fighters).

2. Medium and dive-bombers.

Both seemed equal here to me, though I'd have expected the Luftwaffe fighters to clean up?

Using Me109's instead of FW190's was downright stupid at low/medium altitudes. :rolleyes:

[quote"CharlesBronson"]Wrong quote...I never wrote that.[/quote]
But you did write that. ;) Ya little tinker you! :lol:

You also wrote:

I think SchwarzPanzer is amazing, 8) yes I do.

;) :lol:

Soren:

No Schwarz, the Soviet 122mm and 152mm guns could not pop the turret off a Panther by sheer kinetic energy, so stop fantasizing about it, OK.

Oh yes they could! ;) Stop fantasing that they couldn't!

KraziKanuK:

It was at Pont-du-Fahs (in Tunisia). Only 1 Tiger, but what a pathetic debut! :lol:

- No, on second thoughts scratch that - as according to Soren they were invincible. ;)

Yeah, a pathetic debut on both fronts. Great kill ratio though, the crews were as responsible as the machine.

Enhanced survivability = crew can afford to slip up - crew become seasoned = enhanced survivability and so on...

You have to admit the debuts were balls-ups though D?

No I don't. The Tiger was killing machine and it was quickly recognised on all fronts, against all foes. The early showings of the Tiger destroyed hundreds of opponent vehicles for the loss of one or two Tigers, that's never poor for any vehicle.

What I will admit is the actions of the Tiger were better in 1943 than they were in '42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back