The Best Bomber of WWII: #4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've always known only seven Americans flew in the Battle of Britain. But I'm curious about their performance.

I think the greatest bomber needs to carry loads of bombs and could clime altidute that fighter can t reach

No the B-29 could fly higher than all the other major bombers including the Lancaster, B-17, and B-24. Besides the Pressurized Cockpit was really fricken nice at those altitudes.

Service Cielings

Lancaster: 23,500 ft (8,160 m)
B-17: 35,600 ft (10,850 m)
B-24: 28,000 ft (8,500 m)
B-29: 36,000 ft. (10,973 m)

However for the most part over the ETO that would not have mattered because the Luftwaffe had aircraft that could flyer higher than that. So in that case you are correct in saying that the Japanese did not really have a true high alltitude fighter to deal with the B-29.

I am going to say straight out, B-29. Haven't read most of the pages in this one, but haven't looked at the statistics. The B-24 and Lancaster both contributed a huge amount ,but were cut up in huge numbers, as was the B17, what do you mean by best? Stats wise? Losses wise? Or what?
Anyway, still the B-29.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back