The Bf-109 Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fluid-Dynamic Drag,
Hoerner

Hoerner has been personally involved in testing the 109 in wind tunnels and flight test. He choose a 109 G as the subject for a drag analysis.

The more "number minded" along us will like it. It has formulas.......:oops:

i put it in a pdf for readability

Attachments

• me 109 performance.pdf
    387.9 KB · Views: 824

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 214
Mike Williams has claims on his site stating otherwise, but those are fairly baseless, using selective quoting of manuals. Even French papers of captured Emils from 1939 note to 1100 HP rating. Speaking of it, the absance of Aa powered variants or the claims regarding the DB 601N are baseless as well.

According to the book Luftwaffe: the allied intelligence files By Chris Staerck and Paul Sinnott, a Bf-109G-14 was shot down over Normandy (Fontenay Le Pensiel) in July 1944. The aircraft had been rushed to the frontline because the wiring and paintwork was not up to previous standards. Whats the story behind this aircraft? was it evacuated to the RAE?

Hoerner is an acknowledged expert in Aero theory - his book was one on my undergraduate courses and offhand I haven't dound a better balance of theoretical with practical text on lift and drag!!

According to the book Luftwaffe: the allied intelligence files By Chris Staerck and Paul Sinnott, a Bf-109G-14 was shot down over Normandy (Fontenay Le Pensiel) in July 1944. The aircraft had been rushed to the frontline because the wiring and paintwork was not up to previous standards. Whats the story behind this aircraft? was it evacuated to the RAE?

IIRC the 109 Lair has the complete report, iirc it mentions that the inner parts of the aircraft were simply coated with primer, but not painted. My guess it was a case of rationalization of production (why paint an warplan, with a lifespan of dozens of hours at best, at place where it doesnt effect functionality?)

Given the Werknummer, I believe this G-14 was originally a G-6/U2, the one with GM-1 tank - it was probably easier to utlize these for boosted 109s since the tank was already built in.

I have no idea of its further fate.

IIRC the 109 Lair has the complete report, iirc it mentions that the inner parts of the aircraft were simply coated with primer, but not painted. My guess it was a case of rationalization of production (why paint an warplan, with a lifespan of dozens of hours at best, at place where it doesnt effect functionality?)

Thanks for the reply Kurfurst. I also hope you are able to update your Bf-109 site. It has very interesting information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back