The Blitz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
These inspired me to look more into the Blitz September '40 to May '41 (am I right :lol:)...
Which KG's took part, was it only the '88 and the '111 taking part, did the Do 217 arrive too late?
Maybe something to try together with Terry's future BoB thingy! :lol:
They look kinda menacing in all (almost) black! Well, you know what me mean, being bombers and all! :lol:

DSC_0597_zps71e63986.jpg

DSC_0596_zpsc2220cf8.jpg

DSC_0595_zpscda9fb6b.jpg

Pics are from Classic Colours Kampfflieger books Vol Two and Three...

It could be said the 'Blitz' started 'properly' in October 1940, and continued, in varying degrees, until 1944. During this period, various aircraft were used and, if 'intruder' ops are included, the Me410 was also used, along with the He 111, Do217, Do215 and Do17, Ju88, Ju188 and He177, as well as the odd Bf110. There were also mining ops in estuaries and river mouths, involving He115s, and the odd incursion by Fw 200s.

"The Blitz" is generally accepted to mean the London Blitz.
This started on the night of 7th September 1940. London was bombed on 57 consecutive nights following this date. The bombing continued until May 1941 when the blitz is considered to be over. The Luftwaffe was headed East for Barbarossa in June.
Of course bombing continued,including London,subsequently. Some of those episodes are mentioned above but are not usually included as part of "The Blitz".
In this sense "the Blitz" ran from September 1940 until May 1941,exactly as the original poster proposed.
Cheers
Steve

I agree Steve - was just pointing that, for the inclusion of models of aircraft types, then bombing continued, albeit on a much smaller scale, throughout the war.

I agree Steve - was just pointing that, for the inclusion of models of aircraft types, then bombing continued, albeit on a much smaller scale, throughout the war.

No worries. Bombing certainly did continue. I sometimes see raids described as "nuisance raids" which is ridiculous. Half a dozen medium bombers unloading on you is much more than a nuisance even if it doesn't equate to the all out assault we call the blitz :)
Cheers
Steve

Very much obliged gentleman! Think that I'll get another '88, '111 and a '217, at some date, for three different cities....one being Glasgow....

And there's always the air-launched V1s, fired from He111s over the North Sea. There's a bl**dy big hole in the forest, just up the road from me, where a V1 landed 'short' of it's target (probably Manchester, but could have been intended for Woodford, although unlikely).
The Revell kit is around at a reasonable price at the moment, and can be built with the V1 included in the kit, or, as a very simple conversion, back-dated to a H-1, -2, or -3, by adding a top canopy from 'Squadron', and a scratch-built gun mount, plus altering a couple of other small items.

While I'm at it, instead for starting another thread...

How many 111H-22's could KG 3 and KG 53 put together for their air launched V1's between July '44 and January '45? What aircraft codes do we know about?
I've also seen that H-16's and H-20's were used for this...

This is a good read covering this period. Not a great source for detailed pictures of the aircraft but a good account of the campaign.

IMG_0311_zpsc455c0c9.gif

ISBN 1-84415-401-7

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back