The Falklands (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aggie08

Staff Sergeant
Apr 15, 2005
Texas
Does anyone have any information on the Falklands War? I supposed I could just "google" it but that's not as fun. From what I understand the Brits beat the hell out the Argentinians, but I did some reading and saw that several French built Super Etendards sank two British warships off the coast. What all happened, seing as a bunch of you guys were around when this shnazz went down? I noticed the Pucara post on this page and I know a little about it. I also know that Harriers pulled their weight and messed some bad guys up. Discuss.

My dad served in the Falklands War with the Chinooks. He loaded up the Atlantic Conveyor and flew down in a Hercules. The Conveyor full of Chinooks was sunk en-route. All the Chinooks for the task force were destroyed except one which was on a flight test at the time. He kept that lone Chinook flying until more came down from Britain.

The Falklands War was Argentina invading the Falkland Isles (Maldives to them) to re-take them, they still lay claim to the islands. Britain responded by gathering a task force in three days. We went down to the Falkland Isles, a place most people thought were north of Scotland, and defeated the Argentine forces in every encounter.

The Argentine Air Force took a toll on the Royal Navy and Royal Fleet Auxillary but nothing to cause drastic problems. Once the main forces were ashore Argentina was finished.

The Sea Harriers, well, they more than pulled their weight. They destroyed many AAF aircraft while only losing three of their own to ground fire.

The main problem for the British vessels was the Exorcet missile fired from AAF aircraft. It was designed to destroy ships and was very effective at doing so. The French sold them to Argentina and MI6 had to buy all the stocks to avoid Argentina getting them.

The Argentine flag ship was sunk in the Falklands War, the Bel Grano sunk by HMS Conquerer. The submarine gladly came home flying the Jolly Roger, the symbol of a kill in the British Submariner service.

That's just random bits of information for you. I'm sure there's plenty of websites out there with the dates, times, places and such.

My dad was stationed in Port Stanley and Kelly's Garden during the war.

plan_D said:
My dad served in the Falklands War with the Chinooks. He loaded up the Atlantic Conveyor and flew down in a Hercules. The Conveyor full of Chinooks was sunk en-route. All the Chinooks for the task force were destroyed except one which was on a flight test at the time. He kept that lone Chinook flying until more came down from Britain.

The Falklands War was Argentina invading the Falkland Isles (Maldives to them) .

Maldives¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¿¿¿¿¿............ :shock:

http://www.visitmaldives.com.mv/index.php

Sunny Island indeed :lol: 8)

A song done I think by the Clash, sung to the music of "Battle of New Orleans" (Sorry Charlie B. I had to throw this in :lol: )

"In nineteen and eighty two we took a little trip
Along with Margie Thatcher and few British Ships
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody Argies in the Malvinas

We fired our guns and they heap a get to runnin, there wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago,

We fired once more and they heap a get to runnin across the South Atlanic, back to Rosario...."

And we caught the bloody Argies in the Maldives

And I think that they took too many Bloody Marys also, because Maldives is this:

maldives.jpg

I was tired when I wrote my piece. It's the Malvinas, sorry.

the Falklands was an attempt by the Argentina leader General Galtiari to divert the publics attention away from the domestic problems he was having at the time .The Argentinian airforce had some very brave pilots and there loss rate was very high but the Argentinian navy was hopeless and once the Belgrano (ex Brooklyn Class cruiser, USS Phoenix ) was sunk they never showed the faces out of port again as for the Argentinian ground forces they where nearlly all conscripted kids so up against a professional army they where on a hiding to nothing from the outset the problem the British had was the vast distance to move the task force if the Argentinians had concentrated on the carrier the Invasion would have been over before it had begun.
It showed how ill equipped the British forces where and are for fighting on a world stage .

They created that task force in three days. It's hardly going to be fully equipped and it was well within the bounds to defeat the Argentines. If it had been a little more serious we would have taken a little longer in preparation.

I think it was well executed, especially since the Falklands are eight thousand miles away from Britain and three hundred miles away from Argentina.

Nice shots Charlie!

There is no doubt how brave the Argentine A-4 pilots were, I understand that they actually had several hits on the British fleet but their free-fall iron bombs did not go off. Has anyone else heard this?

The Argentine Navy still has A-4s, a new batch that were delivered in 1997-1998 are probably the most advanced A-4s produced. Stuffed filled with advanced avionics, I was told by a friend who worked on this project "it was like stuffing 10 pounds of Sh*t into a 5 pound bag." The last of the modification line was done in Palmdale Ca. at the Skunk Works facility. I got to see the last one delivered. The Argentine pilot who took delivery of the aircraft actually participated in the Falklands conflict.

The Argentine Navy still has A-4s, a new batch that were delivered in 1997-1998 are probably the most advanced A-4s produced. Stuffed filled with advanced avionics, I was told by a friend who worked on this project "it was like stuffing 10 pounds of Sh*t into a 5 pound bag." The last of the modification line was done in Palmdale Ca. at the Skunk Works facility. I got to see the last one delivered. The Argentine pilot who took delivery of the aircraft actually participated in the Falklands conflict.

Actually , these new A-4AR (denominated Fighting Hawk in the AAF) was not delivered to the navy but to the Argentine Air Force.

comb2800.jpg

The Argentine Navy desactivated all the surviving A-4Qs in 1988.

The last of the modification line was done in Palmdale Ca. at the Skunk Works facility. I got to see the last one delivered. The Argentine pilot who took delivery of the aircraft actually participated in the Falklands conflict

They compressed the APG-66 radar in the little A-4.

a4ar_APG66.jpg

mini_cab.jpg

Thanks Charlie and nice photos!

I used to see them flying around Palmdale, I just ASSUMED they were going to the Navy :oops:

Crazy...I've heard varying reports on the British preparedness and handling of the situation, I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

ha! we had that war won from the time maggie said we're going to take them back, how the hell did the argies think they had a chance?? well, they didn't expect the harrier.........

this just happens to be my second favourite conflict, which is a weird claim to fame i know.........

....the argies.........

I think that you should change that phrase by "the argentines" :rolleyes:

The intentions of the military goverment wasnt fighting against a OTAN nation, but achieved a favourable position to negociate the islands ownership, thinking that the british had more importat problems that recover a couple of thiny island in the end of the world....off course it dint work. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back