The Falklands

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It certainly is true that Argentina didn't count on a British military reaction. I find it amusing that the Argentine government abandoned the islands then still layed claim to them. The British government laughed it off but could have invaded Argentina itself, if it wanted.

Argentina didn't stand a chance. Britain organised a task force capable of the job in three days, that alone is a remarkable feat.

From my dad's experience he's got various opinions on the British forces out there. He thought the reaction was extremely quick and was shocked to see himself moved from RAF Odiham down to Southampton almost straight away to load up Chinooks on to the Atlantic Conveyor. By the way, my dad wasn't actually with a squadron at the time. He was with the Aircraft Servicing Flight (ASF). Although squadrons have their own technicians, a lot of the Chinooks had to go to ASF because the squadron wouldn't be able to deal with it.
When he got to Port Stanley, after a painful flight in a Hercules (What flight in a Hercules isn't painful?) they didn't even have him on the list to be there. So, he was stuck in Stanley for a week until the Chinook team at Kelly's Garden reported him AWOL. It wasn't until a lot of paper work and shouting between commands that they finally realised where my dad was, in Stanley! He had been ordered to the Falklands by name to sort out some Chinooks that had been grounded for weeks - three Chinooks to be exact.
Kelly's Garden is in the middle of nowhere and the British High Command basically forgot about them. They had none of the luxuries, only food and water. But he did have the luxury of sleeping in a sheep shed! And found it amusing chasing the penguins so the other people could take pictures of them as they ran away from my dad towards them. And they weren't even allowed to shoot the sheep for more food.
After a few months like that, they finally flew in some cabins for them to sleep in. The war was over by now but he was there for six months. And since he'd flown down, none of his tour of duty was spent on a ship. During the war, and after it while still in the Falklands, he did the odd flight in a Chinook sat on the back ramp with the MG.
When he got back to Stanley he was in serious trouble because he had long hair. In Kelly's Garden they didn't have the luxury of a barbers, so he came out after 6 months with hair down to his shoulders. He got to see some high ranking officer collapse and die of a heart attack. And he also got to see a Phantom crash into a mountain.

There's more to his time in those horrible islands but I can't remember at the moment.

Not very good quality but interesting pictures of Dassault Super Etendar, depicted in the previus hours of the attack against Royal Navy in May 4th, 1982.

etcexocetenrg1ya.jpg

Sue203.jpg

In action launching the Exocet:

Suelanzando.jpg

One of the 2 missiles hit ans eventually sunk the HMS Sheffiled.

Interesting Pictures CB. For what its worth the Sheffield was hit by one Exocet that didn't go off. There was enough impact and burning fuel to cause the damage that sank the ship, which shows how dangerous these weapons are.
I know this has always been a cause for debate. My belief is based on something we saw in Gibralter. In the early 70's the RN bought the Exocet and when we sailed into Gibralter there was a target ship used in the trials. To all intents and purposes there was no superstructure or hull above the waterline roughly a third of the way from the bow. We just looked at it and wondered how it had stayed afloat.
It made us realise that modern war was a dangerous business with one hit being able to sink a ship in next to no time.
We also saw a film showing the trials of the Sea Dart being used as an anti ship weapon. Even this anti aircraft missile blew a 50ft hole in the bridge of the target ship. Pretty impressive for such a relatively small warhead.
Having seen that and the pictures of the Sheffield before she sank nothing will make me believe that the warhead went off, even though it did the job.

Man apparently Exocets are the mack daddy of anti-ship warfare... What's our contemporary in the US/Britain?

The information is quite correct. The majority of the bombs in question were British bombs from the 60's which simply were not correctly fused. In most cases the bombs were dropped from a lower height than normal and didn't have time to fuse before they hit the ship. There was one example of a bomb that bounced, went in the side and out going up through the flight deck of the frigate.
We used the same bombs and they worked fine, but we had more experience in low level work.
During the conflict the BBC announced that a number of bombs hadn't exploded and the Armed Forces nearly lost it. Obviously if the Argentines have realised what the problem was, we would have been in trouble.
The Argentines also used French bombs that sometimes didn't work when fused correctly, just a design fault.

Favourite story. We used a disused Meat Refrigeration plant as a hospital and during a raid a bomb was dropped on the hospital which didn't go off. The Bomb disposal team turned up and realised that it was a French design that had a variable fuse with a maximum of I think three hour delay. Anyway, more time had passed than the fuse allowed and they decided that it was better to leave the bomb where it was. To move it could set it off, as it was wedged in a mass of pipes and would be a swine to move.
Problem. There was nowhere else to move the patients, they had to stay in the building. A decision that shall we say, caused some concern.
To show they had confidence in their decision the Bomb disposal team moved into the hospital and slept next to the wall where the bomb was wedged and stayed there for the rest of the conflict.

I should say that the hard standing outside the plant was used as a military store and as such the building and the area around it was NOT marked with red crosses or other markings. We knew that it was a legitimate target and accepted the consequences. No complaints on that score for the Argentines bombing the hospital.

I digress now but the hospital had one very fine boast. Every British person who made it to the hospital, no matter how badly wounded survived. Quite a record and in case your wondering, only one Argentine died.

NS, it was a Warrant Officer that had a go at my dad for his hair. He also had a go at a few others and told them to report to his office the next day at 4pm with a haircut. The thing is, my dad was flying out at 8am the next morning but he didn't both tellin' the SWO that!

The information is quite correct. The majority of the bombs in question were British bombs from the 60's which simply were not correctly fused. In most cases the bombs were dropped from a lower height than normal and didn't have time to fuse before they hit the ship. There was one example of a bomb that bounced, went in the side and out going up through the flight deck of the frigate.
We used the same bombs and they worked fine, but we had more experience in low level work.
During the conflict the BBC announced that a number of bombs hadn't exploded and the Armed Forces nearly lost it. Obviously if the Argentines have realised what the problem was, we would have been in trouble.
The Argentines also used French bombs that sometimes didn't work when fused correctly, just a design fault.

I agree completely, the problem was so bad that in ocations the argentine Navy used 500 pounds Snakeye bombs, that were more reliable.

snakeye_1.jpg

That was the armament used in the attack to the HMS Ardent in 21th May.

HMSArdentMortallyDamaged.jpg

A little more pictorial from the 1982 war.

The hands up¡¡¡

Argentine navy commando taking prisoners in April 2 1982. the submachine gun is a British( :oops: ) 9mm Sterling with a large silencer.

15qg.jpg

Look at that, not a sight associated with the Falklands War. But then we all know it happened because that was right at the start when there were hardly any British troops there. There wasn't even a proper base.

But now there is. Come and try again!

That top pic is an interesting one though. I've never seen an Argentine naval commando before.
But then, I suppose that's the whole idea: Not to be seen. ;)

Looks like it worked for the SAS in that second pic.

When the SAS and SBS stopped shooting at each other they soon wreaked havoc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back