The Feldpost Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

30 Sept. 1943

My dear ones!

Heartfelt thanks for your dear
letter of Sept. 26, as well as for the
little pens/pencils, which once again
found good use. Your dear package arrived today. Unfortunately I cannot write more, because I again have duty today. I hope that soon I can write something more detailed to you.

Warm greetings,

Your Otfried


IMG_0239.jpegIMG_0240.jpeg
 
Getting back into this. Found an earlier one that I missed.

29 September 1943

My Dear Ones!

I have now received the newspapers up to the 21st. Many thanks for them.

The weather has been very nice lately, so that one can still remain outdoors for quite a while. In recent exercises we have often had to practice taking cover. The oranges tasted very good. The sausage was not quite to my taste, but I still ate it.

My comrades continue to receive many letters. I myself have only received one letter from Mother so far.

Our room now has a table. Yesterday we had a drill exercise. We marched about 7 kilometers with full field equipment. We then had to remain in position for several hours.

The days here pass quickly. We usually get up at 5 o'clock. After breakfast there is training. The officers are mostly decent men, although naturally some are stricter than others.

Yesterday we had another march. This time it was about 25 kilometers. I am slowly getting used to the marching, although it still tires me considerably.

Some comrades are already hoping for leave. I do not yet know whether I will be able to come home, but I hope so.

Otherwise everything is still in order here. The food is satisfactory, and I am still healthy.

Many greetings,

Otfried


IMG_0580.jpegIMG_0576.jpegIMG_0578.jpegIMG_0577.jpeg
 
Here is an interesting one dated 1 October 1943z Interestingly it is not from Otfried to his parents, it's from a relative named Martin to Otfried. Martin appears to be in a FLAK unit.

1 October 1943

Dear Otfried!


Thank you very much for your dear letter no. 2 of 26 September, which I received today already. I was very pleased to hear from you once again.

On the 14th we will already have been here for three months, and we still have not fired a shot. But that certainly will not last much longer, because it has now been decided that when we have the heavy anti-aircraft guns, we will conduct live-fire exercises. Then we will see what our guns can do. Ten rounds with elevations of 20–90 degrees are to be fired, and then the guns are lowered again into firing position.

We will also have to get used to the noise.

Things are probably just as hectic for you now as they were for us at the beginning, only everything takes longer. The fact that you have already fired with the machine gun is excellent. You will surely experience quite a lot in France. You are probably glad when you have to carry the heavy mortar shells.

I always wish you the very best, and keep doing everything well.

Warm greetings,

Your dear Martin




IMG_0581.jpegIMG_0582.jpegIMG_0583.jpegIMG_0584.jpeg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back