The forum's most discussed single engined fighter of ww2 is....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As there is no special nickname for the BF109 that I had to search, it was sufficient to search for all variations of the bf/me109 variant. So bf.109, bf 109, bf-109, bf109 and all that with me as well. Still, there are probably people who only write "109", but there won't be hundreds of them and I risk picking up a whole lot of other numerical sequences strings.

Last edited:
Gotcha...so then your crawler's criteria was returning fairly accurate results.

Yeah, that's my estimation. Give-or-take maybe a dosen, the numbers are pretty accurate. I cannot foresee every typo though. Still that cw21 makes me wonder. I'm pretty sure the aircraft has been mentioned in the past, but it could have been in another forum, not sure.
I was also surprised to see the Buffallo being rather small. The aircraft always comes up when someone is mentioning something like "worst fighter" and I thought it wuld have been much higher in the list, at least on par with the Thunderbolt.

I agree, the Brewster Buffalo is one for the "Aviation Myths that will not die" because of it's bad press...but there are several threads for that subject alone.

The Curtiss-Wright CW-21 Demon has been mentioned before...not sure why it isn't showing up. (Variations: CW-21, CW-21B, Model 21, Model 21B). I just used Advanced Search with the keyword CW-21 (search entire post selected) and returned 4 pages of results.

I also just searched for F2A and had 9 pages of results returned. Not surprisingly, the second hit was along the lines of "worst U.S. fighter" :lol:

I agree, the Brewster Buffalo is one for the "Aviation Myths that will not die" because of it's bad press...but there are several threads for that subject alone.

The Curtiss-Wright CW-21 Demon has been mentioned before...not sure why it isn't showing up. (Variations: CW-21, CW-21B, Model 21, Model 21B). I just used Advanced Search with the keyword CW-21 (search entire post selected) and returned 4 pages of results.

I also just searched for F2A and had 9 pages of results returned. Not surprisingly, the second hit was along the lines of "worst U.S. fighter" :lol:

Well the Buffalo was mentioned around 4000 times according to my program, no 13 on the list., so that seems about to be right.
My searchstring for the buffalo is:
Code:
'(f2a buffalo)|(b(| |-|\.)(2|3)39 buffalo)|(b(| |-|\.)(2|3)39)|(buffalo)|(f2a)
I found the problem with the CW-21, I had a typo in the regex string. The CW-21 was actually mentioned 127 times, which means it is at no. 60 out of 90. Not bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back