The Great Glenn Miller

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Emac44

Staff Sergeant
Oct 17, 2006
Brisbane Queensland
Bought a 3 CD pack of Glenn Miller in Cebu last week for 850 Philippine Peso about just over $10 AUD. First song up In the Mood. And I am playing the CDs though my hard drive whilst I type this. One thing its great music even 70 yrs after it was first released.

Now thats a question. What song or musical piece from World War 2 or just prior epitomises World War 2 for you. Mine is American Patrol by Glenn Miller. I visualize a Squadron of American B25s to the music flying on a mission. Once saw a film clip with the B25s and background music was American Patrol and it has stuck with me over the years

We'll Meet Again is the one that I think does it- having that on as a troop train leaves the station epitomises it well.
Nothing against Glenn Miller but I hate every single one of his songs, especially when I get forced to play them in the Big Band I'm in

My wife was invited to dance by Herb miller who took over the band after the war and toured for many years I think his boy or nephew runs the band now.
Shes still got the autographed album he gave her after the show and said she had a great time bopping to the band

My mum liked the Glenn Miller music as well Track. Dad was so so about it. But I do remember Dad musing over George Formby music from time to time

Glenn Miller is my all time favorite big band leader and String of Pearl is my favorite song. But I also like Tommy Dorsey, The Andrews Sisters, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Kay Kyser, Johnny Mercer, and Harry James. Most big band music I can listen to all day.

Bought a 3 CD pack of Glenn Miller in Cebu last week for 850 Philippine Peso about just over $10 AUD. First song up In the Mood. And I am playing the CDs though my hard drive whilst I type this. One thing its great music even 70 yrs after it was first released.

Now thats a question. What song or musical piece from World War 2 or just prior epitomises World War 2 for you. Mine is American Patrol by Glenn Miller. I visualize a Squadron of American B25s to the music flying on a mission. Once saw a film clip with the B25s and background music was American Patrol and it has stuck with me over the years

I've got Glenn Miller on 78, along with the Dorseys and the King of Swing himself, Benny Goodman!

Grew up listening to those old records.
some great stuff there.

...and for some reason, the Duke Ellington number, "Cottontail" epitomizes the WWII era for me.
I don't know why, it just does.

Elvis

Glenn Miller is my all time favorite big band leader and String of Pearl is my favorite song. But I also like Tommy Dorsey, The Andrews Sisters, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Kay Kyser, Johnny Mercer, and Harry James. Most big band music I can listen to all day.

Those were the bands that I grew up listening to. My girlfrind (at the time)
was absolutely nuts about Glenn Miller. So, when we got married in
December of 1955, one of the presents I gave her was an album of
"The Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band". It's about twenty 45 RPM
records with the music from his radio shows. Right now the album is
in Richmond, Va. A friend has a system where-by
he can copy records and tapes to CD's, and he's putting them on CD for us.
The records and the music are priceless.... I think "In the Mood" in my favorite.

Charles

We'll Meet Again is the one that I think does it

Is that the song at the end of "Dr Strangelove"?

Even though I have my Led Zeppelin and STP stuff, I love listening to Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw. I love listening to anything thats out there except Jazz and Modern Country. :mad:

Some of the songs I like and remind me somewhat of WWII are..

"Pennsylvania 6500"
"Chatanooga Choo-Choo"
"In The Mood"

Is that the song at the end of "Dr Strangelove"?QUOTE]

Yep! With developing mushrooms as a background!

Mosquitoman, you're the ONLY person I've heard of that doesn't like GM! It takes all sorts..... Personally, I love it and that's from an early '70s Prog Rock guy. String of Pearls, Moonlight Serenade etc, just outstanding IMHO

Some of the songs I like and remind me somewhat of WWII are..

"Pennsylvania 6500"
"Chatanooga Choo-Choo"
"In The Mood"

It's good music, Chris, no matter when, where or how you listen to it.

Oh.... if anyone has the Verizon FiOS TV (Fibre Optic), check out
channel 626 (yea 626), it's a music channel and all they play is
the "Big Band" sound....... UN-interupted !!

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back