The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The greatest jet fighter has to be the F15, 30+ years in the front line, no losses and many victories to its credit. It would be almost impossible for any aircraft to match that, even the F22.

Re the Sea Harrier, it was primarily a fighter and secondly a GA aircraft. It was unique, effective and in its FRS2 version very dangerous, but greatest, no, not in a million years.

Where's the F-8 Crusader, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-21??

1: F-8 Crusader
2: F-4 Phantom
3: ?

Gotta say I love the -104, probably more than the F-15. It was truly a fighter pilot's fighter but, unfortunately, I wouldn't call it a great fighter. It was extremely fast in a straight line (it set the world low-level speed record back in '77), but it had next to no range, wasn't very manueverable, and was unable (except in very late and very upgraded versions) to carry medium-range AA missles, which made for a potentially great dogfighter. The bad news is it never had a chance to prove itself in combat (except with the Pakistanis), as it was too late for Korea, and too early for Vietnam (though a few were stationed at Da Nang in '65-'66). It ended up being a great low-level tactical strike bomber for the Bundesluftwaffe in the '70's '80's.

I got to work on 2 104s very briefly. A bit complicated, its and aircraft that could get you in trouble with real quick. The guy I worked for in Mojave had 2 of them that we were combing into one airframe. Al decided to sell what he had - I don't know who purchased them.

heres a liitle story about 104's and Red Flag
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/mo...chnology-mismanagement-8620-3.html#post260523

I voted for the F-8. Even though it might not have had the same impact on the air war over Vietnam as the F-86 had over Korea. For what I've read, I understand why pilots were reluctant to switch from the F-8 to the F-4 back in the day...but at the same time a weapon officer is probably needed today with all the modern highspeed technology a' la F-15...

1: F-86
2: F-8
3: F-4
4: F-15
5: F-104

For me The F-14 is the Best in my regard due to may resons the main being its Radar and the AIM-45 Phiniox AAM and above all its looks

having grown up in the us air force as an air force dependant and having been the son of a fighter pilot(then bomber pilot) who saw to it i saw a lot of aircraft(us and foreign),i think this is a question that can not be answered without some ground rules. first, it would probably be best to decide on a best fighter for an era (1950's,etc.) then, to decide on best fighter for combat role "air superiority" ,"ground attack" etc. there are a lot of variables! otherwise you're putting gloster gladiators up against messerschmitts over malta--so to speak, i think you get the point. good luck,h.whiteman.

If you're going to pick the Phantom II, then it has to be the RAF F-4M with the Vixen radome. Better lines in my opinion.

[Bob McLeod Collection]

Attachments

• 6455L.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread