The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hmmm, let me get with my programming buddies, we'll make the Cessna A-37 Dragonfly the best ever.

Come on, SMG, you can't base it on a flight sim. You have no way of knowing the accuracy of the sim. Plus flying a sim versus the real thing is incomparable. Until you have felt the heat, the Gs, the buffeting when getting out of the performance envelope, felt the stick forces and responses, you don't have anything to base your judgment on.

F4F WILDCAT!

...oh, it says best JET fighter... (sorry).

Oh man, this is tough. I don't even see a couple of planes I'd personally consider among the best, if nothing else.
FJ-4 and F-5/20.
Granted, neither made much impact during wartime (Did the FJ-4 even enter a battle?), but I think they would've made an excellent showing of themselves.
Small targets are hard to hit. Small FAST targets are dam near impossible to hit!

Man, I like the F-4, but I equally like the F's 8-18, too.
The 104 was the "super duper" plane of its day, but so was the 106 (which is also not on the list).
Then the Mirage, the Migs..it boggles the mind.

...so...

I'm just going to close my eyes and pick one.

....and the winner is...

...me....oops, sorry. Wrong award.

I'll take the F-22.

Its the most advanced and the vectored thrust should make it the most manuverable.
Its probably the most versatile, too, althogh I'm sure there's a ton of F-4 jockey's out there that would beg to differ.

So for no other reason than, "that's my choice", The F-22.

Elvis

I belive the Avro Arrow simply because Im Canadian,
It has no combat record , but it definately would have changed the world we live in today if it wasnt cancelled.

You know, there's talk out there that the Arrow was the basis for the F-111.
Of course, I think it was developed as a bomber.
I wonder how successful the F-111 would've been as a fighter.

...its kinda big for one, isn't it?

Elvis

You know, there's talk out there that the Arrow was the basis for the F-111.
Talk? From who? Not even close!!!

Of course, I think it was developed as a bomber.
I wonder how successful the F-111 would've been as a fighter.
The F-111 did have a very capable air-to-air capability and many F-111 squadrons also trained for air-to-air. I work with an O-6 who once told me he locked on several MiGs who been trailing him on a NATO exercise over the Norwegian Sea in the 1980s.

Really. I've always heard of the 111 in terms of being a bomber (maybe bomber-type would be more accurate), like in the same class as an F-101 (although newer).
The "F" classification would give creedence to having some kind of air-to-air capability, but whenever I've asked servicemen in the past all I get is a smarmy "hmph!" accompanied by a $h!t eatin' grin and "right".

I forget where I heard that about the Arrow and the F-111. I must've read it or maybe saw it on TV, because I remember a picture showing the general outline of the two planes and how similar they were.

I don't know. If you say no, then fine, its not.

Elvis

I saw the same thing but it wasn't the 111 it was the 14 I believe the they showed both aircraft from the from the front and the resemblence was uncanny

The F-111 was Mcnamara's Edsel for the USAF and USN - the first joint service 'must buy'. It was first operational swing wing 'tactical' aircraft designed for TAC in AF and to replace A6 and other tactical strike a/c for Navy. The USN played the game for awhile bbut carrier requirements took the weight way up and Navy bailed out.

In it's way it was a useful weapon, fast, terrain following, all weather fighter bomber - but the use of 'fighter' in same breath is not useful. Although its first deployment to SE asia was not a success, its ability to perform all weather strikes under radar was continuously improved and it was effective in both that role as well as Electronic Counter Measure a/c and replaced the F-105 and EB-66 and B-57 altogether.

I saw the same thing but it wasn't the 111 it was the 14 I believe the they showed both aircraft from the from the front and the resemblence was uncanny

Another reason to never trust television...

Attachments

• arrow6.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 83
  • f-14-plane9-s.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread