The Guns We Own (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bought a Springfield Armory M1 Garand today. Gotta wait till tomorrow to pick it up (Veterans Day Holiday, couldn't do the background check).

Very excited! Will post pics when I get it in my hand.

TO

Very Cool TO, can't wait to see the pics. Did you buy the reproduction M1 that Springfield now makes or did you buy a surplus rifle?
If you're a lefty shooter watch out for that ammo clip after the last round goes off. That baby spings up out of the rifle and clunks a left handed shooter right on the top of the head when it comes down from it's freefall. I know, it's happened to me a couple times, hurts just a little bit

One of these days I'll get my M1 barrel screwed onto the receiver I picked up years back and put together a Garand as well. Fun rifle to shoot.

One other work of caution, don't shoot just any rifle ammo through that M1. They will not hold up to high pressure loads. I was told to either shoot surplus ball .30 cal ammo, or Federal Brand 150 grain ammo (the stuff in the Silver and Blue box). There was another ammo manufacturer a few years back that made ammo specifically for the M1, M1903, etc... But the name escapes me right now.
Look over on the CMP's web-site, I think they have information posted on safe ammo. Thankfully I've got several ammo can of surplus ball just collecting dust until my M1 is shootable again.

Last edited:

Thanks Buck. Bought an original that has been thoroughly rebuilt/reconditioned. Brand new chrome lined Criterion barrel, new wood. Looks like it just came off the assembly line. Complete with instruction manual, 10 clips and a non-GI sling. 1 year warranty on parts and labor.

Thanks for for the heads up on ammo. Much appreciated.

Can't wait to shoot!

BTW, I'm a right handed.

TO

Cool. Let me know if you need more clips, I've got a few hundred at home and need to get rid of some. You can have a bunch. I think I've got a couple of the M1 Garand booklets that the CMP sends out with thier rifles too. Shows complete dissasembly and other stuff. P.M. me your address if you want some of that stuff.

Last edited:
My M1 Garand. I may sleep with it tonight!

TO

Attachments

• DSCN4174.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN4181.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN4182.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN4183.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN4184.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN4189.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN4188.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN4185.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 169
Very nice TO, I love the M1 Garand. This make me want to get mine put back together and shooting again.
As I mentioned int he P.M. I sent you, be careful what you feed the M1 for Ammo, and for anyone else considering buying one. The M1 cannot handle the high pressure loads of most modern day ammunition. Guys I have spoken with said to just shoot the Federal Brand Ammo that comes in the Blue and Silver Boxes, 150 Grain variety.
I also just looked over a couple shooting magazines I had yesterday and seems Hornady is now making a match grade ammunition for the M1. Called something like Hornade Garand Match or something like that. Most likely a little pricey.
I do beleive PMC and American Eagle make a general Garand grade ammo as well.
Look in the Shotgun News magazine for surplus ammo too, but be watchful as some of the foreign made stuff has corrosive primers. Cabelas and Sportsmans Guide usually have surplus .30 cal ammo on had at times as well. Most bullets on surplus stuff have steel bullet wrapped in copper which I've read may wear your barrel down faster, while others say it doesn't?
Good luck, have fun, and get us some pics at the range and of you first Bullseye

Very nice looking Rifle TO and Bucks right on the ammo.The most I go on my reloads is a 165g but mostly it is the 150g anymore.I believe the sniper round round is 173g but I still do not know if I go that much for an M1.Have Fun Kevin

Only thing Matt I might like fiberglass in my underwear

Must be a Baseball player? Itch, Itch, Scratch, Scratch

Went up to the local Cabelas Sporting Good Store today and went into the Gun Vault, the place where they keep all the Vintage and high priced weapons. There was the Winchester 94 Lever action i was looking for. Build in 1957, collectors look for Winchesters Built before 1964. Gun was in excellent shape , only it was not the caliber I wanted and was priced beyond what I can afford right now. I'll keep looking. Want a .32-20, but they appear to be hard to find, or I'm mistaken and they didn't make them in that Cal? Off to peruse the Winchester books I picked up at the Library today and do a little research.

that would explain not liking the Garand

Not following that one Dragon??I have a 56 Springfield with under a 1000 rds ever run through it.I have had offers way more than what I paid for it by some more knowledgable than I for sure.The rifle I really regrett cutting loose was my BM-59.The only piece that was not Beretta on it was the barrel it was a Springfield.

Attachments

• bm59 002 (533 x 400).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 395
  • bm59 003 (533 x 400).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 384
  • bm59 005_edited (533 x 400).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 528
Ooooo... man you gave that up? Really? What did you get in return?

Lots of money, a couple of female Brazilian beach volleyball players and a huge pension I hope. She's a beaut.

What I paid for it Matt.I orginally bought it as a long term investment for maybe 10-15 yrs out but I had run out of funds on the shop so something had to go.I had it up on the forsale board at one forum and in 72 hours a deal struck for $1600.

Users who are viewing this thread