The Guns We Own (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I picked up two revolvers while in the US Air force ('68 - '74), a S&W Model 19 .357 magnum with target sights and Alvarez custom grips, and a woefully inaccurate Charter Arms snub-nosed .38. ...

Besides the two revolvers above, I used to have a .300 Win Magnum rifle, while in the USAF at Chanute ATC base but we ran short on money and I thought I'd pawn it for just a little while, and when I went back to pick it up, found out a young lad had a nice Christmas present. :(

Hey, I've been conversing with the guy that built that Hawken Rifle. Seems if was made from a kit he purchased from a Balck Powder Rifle supply store about 30 miles form my house! I ran up there this past weekend and picked up a catalog and looked around. Some nice Rifles in that store. Can't afford the whole kit right now, but it can be bought in bits and pieces a little at a time. Fancy Curly Maple stock is $250 alone though, ouch.

Greetings, fellow lefty. :)

Yep, us lefties got to stuck together. Actually lefties outnumber the righties in my family. Mom and Sister are also left handed as are most of my cousins on my mothers side fo the family.
It's a curse and a blessing, on one hand it's hard to use some things made for righties,but on the other my righty friends never ask to borrow my left handed stuff;)

Speaking of the guns we own (or would like to own), can any member refer a reputable gun dealer, online website or New Jersey location, that would sell the M1 Garand, Thompson, Carbine, etc.? I've got a number of sites bookmarked, just looking for someone who has had some first hand experience dealing with the various dealers.

I'm looking to expand my militaria collection to include US firearms from WW II. A good recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TO

TO, have you checked out the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) for M1's? They have certain criteria you have to meet before you can purchase a weapon from them. These can vary in price range and quality, and may need some work (cleaning mostly) to make them shooters. Not sure what the wait time is on a rifle from them anymore, used to be several months to a year, but I think they have shortened that time frame a little. This is the official, government santioned place to get a M1.
CMP Home
Check out Fulton Armory on-line, I've bought Garand parts form him and he seems very reputable.
Also check out Scott Duff at Scott Duff Publications Historic Martial Arms: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903, Krag, M1911A1 In my Garand/Carbine collecting days I bought a few rifles from him and all were as he described on his web-site. I think he can only send to a gun dealer or C R Lisc holder. I think he is in Pennsyvania?
You have to keep a close eye on his web-site and see when he posts newly available stuff as he usually puts new stuff up there in a lump basis and stuff seemed to move pretty fast.

I used to know a couple other places, but they escape my memory right now. I think I purchased a Garand parts kit from this web-site several years ago, www.m1garandrifle.com/ but I can't open the web-site from work to verify it's the same guy. I'll check from home later to verify. If so, he seemed be pretty reputable.

I think your best bet is the CMP if you don't mind waiting, and putting in a little elbow grease (half the fun IMO). And second I'd try Scott Duff. All depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Speaking of the guns we own (or would like to own), can any member refer a reputable gun dealer, online website or New Jersey location, that would sell the M1 Garand, Thompson, Carbine, etc.? I've got a number of sites bookmarked, just looking for someone who has had some first hand experience dealing with the various dealers.

I'm looking to expand my militaria collection to include US firearms from WW II. A good recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TO

gunboards.com total online service for the gun owner and collector

Buck and Matt,

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Buck, I'm in the process of getting my paperwork in order for CMP. Hopefully the wait has shortened a bit.

Thanks again guys,

TO

Great, had a couple of thier rifles and they were in pretty decent shape. Well worn, but could be shot. A couple years ago I thought they were down to a 4 months or so backlog. Have not checked recently.
I got a brand new, still in Cosmoline Garand bolt form Fulton Armory several years ago and a parts kit from some other place which had a nice Danish made Barrel that was pretty much new. Got the receiver from the CMP. Someday when I have the spare cash I'm going to send it all to a gut to have re-parkerized and have the barrel assembled to the Receiver., I think his company is Deans Gun Repair, does a lot of Garand refinishing if you need any work done.
Good shooting, let me know if you need any spare Garand clips, I've got a bunch fo them just collecting dust and will never have use for the amount I have.
If you are going to shoot the M! Garand be careful what type of ammo you put through them. No high pressue stuff. Guy from one of the places just told me to stick with Federal Ammo, the inexpensive (if you want to call it that) 150 grain bullet stuff. Garands were not known for shooting high pressure ammo, can cause bad things to happen.
Good luck, hope you draw a nice one from CMP.

You can also get involved in the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) Appleseed Project to qualify for the CMP Garands. It is a great program that my dad and grandad went to and both thought it was great. They are both Marine vets from the PTO and Vietnam. My grandad used his .22 to qualify but my dad used his M1A and found out that was not the best idea because the amount of shooting to qualify.Sore cheek!

Here's a couple of links you might be interested in.

The Appleseed Project

Fred's M14 Stocks

Last edited:
Thanks again Buck,

Hopefully the backlog isn't too long. Hey, I'm 60! :)

Amsel,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

All good information guys!

TO

Look for the CMP for a carbine or M1 Garand.
Civilian Marksmanship Program - Usta be Director of Civilian Marksmanship - Department of the Army.

- Ivan

MY newest acquisition:

NOVESKE N4 Light Recce

r-lrb-556_1d.jpg

Nice armory guys, very nice. some shot sof my Bersa Thunder 9x19mm.
Sadly this pistol hasnt been so succesful as its minor sister the .380 in the USA:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 219
Nice handgun, but that second picture goes against every bit of instruction and training I've ever been through! Never point a weapon at anything you don't intent to shoot, especially yourself. Even if you "think" it is unloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back