The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Forgot about my .50 Cal ThompsonIn-Line Muzzleloader, that thing make big old holes in targets;) Someday I'm going to build a Lefty Hawken Muzzleloader, with a nice Curly Walnut stock.
Out of curiousity, how do you like the black powder rifles, especially the vintage style?

I've owned and used BP wheelguns for years, but never had the opportunity to try a rifle/smoothbore.

Any gun is only as safe as the person holding it Marcel. Unfortunately Hollywood has glamorized gunplay all too much in recent years IMO and have removed the respect for the damage a weapon can cause is mishandled.

:lol: I still have to hear about the first person being shot by a water pistol. You'll have to give me that :lol:
Anyway, it's the only gun I have, eh well, my son of 4 years has :D

Out of curiousity, how do you like the black powder rifles, especially the vintage style?

I've owned and used BP wheelguns for years, but never had the opportunity to try a rifle/smoothbore.

I have a good Pennsylvania or Kentucky rifle on my wishlist. I love to shoot blackpowder especially the flintlocks. Hell, I'd settle for a Brown Bess or a Charleville musket. I prefer to shoot flintlocks over any other rifle for recreation.

Don't own a "Vintage" style Blackpowder rifle, yet. Only thing I have is a modern In-Line Muzzleloader using modern powder that burns cleaner and uses a shotgun shell primer for ignition.
Vintage stuff with actual blakc powder requires a bit more work after a shot, and you need to clean that black powder out pretty quickly as it is corrosive. Got to keep you powder dry and the Flintlocks and Caplocks are more prone to mis-fires due to the ignition system.
Hoping to make up a old style black powder rifle for squirrel hunting, maybe a .32 Cal.
I like shooting them, may sell the Centerfire rifle and give up hunting with them and concentrate on hunting with my Lonbow and Muzzleloader.

i actually have a GSG5 .22lr that is an almost exact copy of the h&k mp5, some components actually swap out. These things are a blast to shoot and pretty damn accurate to boot.

My friend bought one and after shooting it I have been lusting for one ever since.

In answer to the main ? I also have an XD45,an M4, a Remington 870 a Sig Sauer P228 in addition to the Springfield I posted earlier on this thread. I have also owned 3 Walther P-38s, Parabellum P08 (Luger) several 1911 style pistols hj- cap and standard capacity,Two Browning HI -Powers,5 KAR98Ks( not all at once) 3 M1As also not all at once, started with polytech M-14S and traded up to a loaded M-1A w/stainless national match barrel and NM trigger group.1 M1 Garand, 2 inland /GM M-1 carbines 4 AR -15s( my current M4 is my favorite),AKs and numerous other revolvers,semi auto pistols ,shotguns and rifles. And that's also how i ran up $16,000, in credit card debt in my younger years.And also why my current gun collection is a mere shadow of it's former glory.( Small picture is mp5 big one is gsg-5 by the way I've shot both both were very fun but full auto rocks)

Attachments

• mp5 gsg5.jpg
    mp5 gsg5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 826
Last edited:
My only experience with black powder was during my stint on the 'Scarlet Letter'movie. The combat training and scenes involved muzzle-loading matchlock muskets (and also a type that broke down like a single-shot shotgun, firing .410 black powder blanks)

I remember how incredibly smoky it became when 35-40 fire all at once. But what I really remember is the instructor repeatedly saying, "I cannot stress strongly enough that you ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE RAMROD before firing the weapon!"...

Guns don't kill in period piece movies, ramrods do:shock:

JL

That Hawken is exacly what I want to build. I found the picture while doing a search. Custom job with gold inlays. I could do without the gold. Someday I'll put one together.
Could be a lefty or the pics got messed up and flip-flopped reverse negative type thingy? Not sure that can happen anymore with the advent of digital cameras. Used to see it a lot with the old school cameras.

Ya, I can't tell if the picture is flipped or not. That sounds like a great build though. It even gives me some motivation to pursue a project like that. My grandpa builds rifles, and it kills me that I didn't bother him to show me some of his skills, it would have been a great way to know him better as well as learn a great skill. He is nearing 90 and the chance has passed. I am going to miss the "greatest generation" and am kind of worried about the skills lost to us in their passing to the afterlife.

No that's a piece of art. I don't have much with rifles, but this Hawken is a beauty.
It is not flipped, if you look closely I believe you'll see the word "calibre" and "rifle" in the right orientation:

Attachments

• Hawken Rifle.jpg
    Hawken Rifle.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 890
Sweet, it's a lefty. Hard to find lefty Traditional Muzzleloader stuff. I'm sure this is way out of my price range, but am going to bookmark his web-site for further research. Looks like I know what my piggie bank moey is being spent on;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back