I did but the front band was lets say a floater the rifle shoots better in the orginal stock as opposed to the Boyd's stock front band was just to tight I even hacked at it I did get it to shoot better but not like the original stock.You interested in a Boyd's stock
Hello Javlin,
Sorry for not responding sooner, but I didn't see your post until this morning.
I had not been viewing this forum much in the last few days because I have been reworking the two guns whose forcing cones were photographed. I am now at the stage at which I have done as much as I can with the parts on order that have arrived.
I actually already have a Boyds stock for another gun. The problem with their stock is more on the back end than the front: The Buttplate doesn't fit particularly well.
The typical solution for the lack of tension on the Stock Ferrule to Front Band is to Glass Bed the Receiver with a fair amount of space AWAY from the Stock (held by a fixture). The US Army Marksmanship Training Unit manual is not that hard to find and the illustrations are a lot better than my written description. Just make sure it is centered when the epoxy is setting.
Before you do the Glass Bedding if that is your choice, you might want to Glass Bed the Stock Ferrule to the Stock so it does not shift. Make sure it is straight.
After the Glass Bedding, the Ferrule and Stock can be hollowed out quite a bit so nothing contacts the Front Band except at the bottom. That area also needs to be lubricated slightly for best results.
Permanently fixing the Front Band to the Gas Cylinder is what the AMTU accuracy specs calls for but I am not convinced that required unless you are going for a full accuracy build. It is not an easy job unless you can do some tack welding, brazing or are willing to anneal the Gas Cylinder so you can tap it.
Keep in mind that a lot of the materials for Glass Bedding are a LOT better than when the AMTU manual was written.
The simplest solution is usually the correct! Right? what's that Ocmans Razor?I do have the Springfield Mount and a decent scope if I can punch the paper good with that then it's my skills have wavered some my eyesight is still pretty good at 60 I still do not need glasses except for reading.I may try that this W/E if the weather holds out
The issue that I have with some of the scope mounts is that they require that the Clip Guide be removed and replaced with a part that has a tapped hole for a second screw. I like my gun looking original when the scope and mount are not installed.
S&K made a mount that I used for many years that used the little slots around the tapped hole in the left side of the receiver for locating the mount. The whole mount was aluminum and the tabs that fit into the slots in the receiver looked quite abused after a bit of use. The mount looked pretty similar in construction to the military ART mount but without the ranging cam.
This mount was the reason I got rid of a rifle. Its receiver had the slots mis-located and would not accept that mount.
This isn't a problem for a service rifle shooter using only iron sights but I need a good scope to be able to see the accuracy of the rifle.
I switched to the B-Square mount when it became available because it allowed me to set elevation in the mount. I put in enough elevation so that there is about 60 MOA of internal adjustment for increasing elevation left in the scope when it is sighted in at 100 yards. I have actually tested whether this works by hanging an extra high target and shooting a round, increasing elevation 10 MOA and doing this until the scope stopped responding. This scope would actually do about 65 MOA. It is stable enough that I was able to shoot a 5 shot group well under 1 MOA while removing the mount from the rifle between each shot.
There is a lot more I can tell you from messing with this gun over about 20 years.
- Ivan.