The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Soulezoo,
I personally have never been a big fan of Glocks. I prefer a gun with a second (not on the trigger) safety mechanism.
From a functioning standpoint, they are pretty well made and generally pretty accurate and a friend of mine has tried for years to convince me to get one. Instead, I went with the Springfield XD which is the same basic idea but has a grip safety. It isn't quite as accurate (yet) as the Glocks I have fired but I also haven't fired it much.
By the way, for the full power 10 mm ammunition, do you load your own or buy it new? I mostly loaded my own which is how I could get ammunition slightly hotter than .40 S&W but not quite at full power 10 mm. I loaded it so frequently at one point that I still have a Dillon 550 tool head with powder measure set up for the caliber.

Regarding your 1911s. Here is a check that might be quite revealing: (The infamous Popsicle Stick Test)
measure the distance between the top of the slide and the barrel at the front of the ejection port when everything is in battery.
Now put a popsicle stick between the back end of the chamber at the barrel hood and the breech face and do the same thing.
I actually use tongue depressor sized craft sticks.
The difference is your lug engagement.

- Ivan.
Howdy,
Not a big fan of Glocks either, but they do work. In 10mm, it's about the only decent large capacity firearm one can obtain in California. Otherwise, I would have others. I both load my own (on a Dillon 550 also) and buy new (for full power either Buffalo Bore or Double Tap). Mostly reload however for volume.

My S&W .38 Military & Police will be a century old next year.
M&P (1).JPG

Browning Hi-Power .40 S&W
BHP 11120 (1).JPG

I usually carry a Ruger LCR .38 in my pocket when out and about. I liked the LCR so much I got another one in .22LR. It has an 8 round cylinder. I also have a Charter Arms Police Undercover 6 shot .38.
Snubs 1219 (1).JPG

Snubs 1219 (3).JPG

Snubs 1219 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I scream like a frightened child.
Living in streets proved that "Cold Weapons" are much more useful and handy in a fight rather than "Fire Arms". They are noisy, need ammo, should be cleaned time to time, and ... Above all, police would not ask why you carry a knife with yourself, but everyone would ask about weapon. Also cold arms are easier to hide, and you can "throw" them as well.

My S&W 39-2 has three positions on the hammer:
Full rest (hammer down) - in this position, the trigger has full travel, with no reaction, of course.
Half-cocked (middle position) - with the hammer in this position, the trigger will move back slightly but stops with no reaction to the hammer.
Full cocked (third position) - this of course has the hammer fully extended, waiting for the trigger's command and the trigger is fully functional and will discharge a round if depressed.

I could provide photos of the hammer positions *if* it were here and not locked in my safe, which is still in storage... :mad:
Hello GrauGeist,
I checked out my remaining S&W pistol last night. It makes a click between full hammer down and hammer cocked, but the hammer if releases at the point of the click will go back to hammer down. It is the newest of the guns.

Howdy,
Not a big fan of Glocks either, but they do work. In 10mm, it's about the only decent large capacity firearm one can obtain in California. Otherwise, I would have others. I both load my own (on a Dillon 550 also) and buy new (for full power either Buffalo Bore or Double Tap). Mostly reload however for volume.

Hello Soulezoo,
Living in California does limit your choices a bit. Only time I ever was out there was about 25 years ago when our development and support team had a class at Hewlett Packard. Things were not quite as crazy back then.
You may be able to use a double stack .45 or 10 mm effectively, but something like that is just too big for me.
As I mentioned above, I was looking at my Model 1006 last night. It isn't quite as big as I remember it, but it is only a single stack and isn't nearly as ergonomic as a M1911. I haven't modified it much since I bought it. The only changes are the plastic grips are actually from a Model 4506 which help it point a bit better and the spring guide which was aluminum was replaced with a stainless steel part by Ed Brown.
It points a lot better with the 4506 rounded grips than with the 1006 straight grips.

- Ivan.

Hello stug3,

I seemed to remember I had something that was a pretty similar configuration to your revolver.
It is a Colt Police Positive .38 Special and in its configuration, they were produced from 1908 to 1923.
I decided to check on the production date and found out that it will also be a century old next year.
Pretty nice coincidence, huh?

This gun actually looks a lot better in person than it does in this photograph. I need to figure out how to use this new camera of mine. It isn't nearly as good as my last camera.

- Ivan.

ColtPolicePositive.JPG

Hello stug3,

I seemed to remember I had something that was a pretty similar configuration to your revolver.
It is a Colt Police Positive .38 Special and in its configuration, they were produced from 1908 to 1923.
I decided to check on the production date and found out that it will also be a century old next year.

This gun actually looks a lot better in person than it does in this photograph. I need to figure out how to use this new camera of mine. It isn't nearly as good as my last camera.

- Ivan.

View attachment 647355
I see it has a lanyard ring at the grip. Is it marked from some P.D.?

I see it has a lanyard ring at the grip. Is it marked from some P.D.?

Hello Special Ed,

The revolver doesn't have any department stamps that I can find.
Also, please note from the photograph that there are grooves in the trigger and also the front of the grip frame.
There are also grooves in the back of the grip frame. I don't believe those were from the factory and were a personal touch much like homemade checkering. For that reason, I don't think the gun has a lot of original value even though the grooves are fairly well done.
I can't imagine that kind of thing would be allowed on department issue property.

The Police Positive Special was first produced in 1908 and is characterized by a lengthened frame to accommodate the .38 Special round.
Previously, the longest round that the gun could fit was the .38 New Police (Colt's name for the .38 S&W). In 1924, the factory changed to Walnut grips instead of the hard rubber ones seen here.

Other than that I don't know much more. The screw heads are not in great shape, but the barrel and forcing cone are in quite good to excellent shape. I don't think it has been re-blued because the grooves don't look blued but the rest of the finish is pretty close to perfect.

- Ivan.

It could have been factory order for a small sheriff's office or small city. Before WW2 many counties could order/buy what they wanted. My first wife had a girlfriend from high school in Kansas whose father was a sheriff and carried a Thompson in his patrol car until he retired in the late 50s.

It could have been factory order for a small sheriff's office or small city. Before WW2 many counties could order/buy what they wanted. My first wife had a girlfriend from high school in Kansas whose father was a sheriff and carried a Thompson in his patrol car until he retired in the late 50s.

Hello Special Ed,

Do you suppose this could have been ordered by the Mayberry, North Carolina Police Department and spent most of its life with only one bullet in the cylinder? Hmmmm.... I never got any kind of back story when I bought the gun. Up until Stug3 posted his pictures, I more or less forgot that I even had one. I didn't remember if it was a S&W or a Colt even though I had shot a few boxes of ammunition through it when I first bought it. It was nothing exciting, so it just became a safe queen. I had originally gotten it to see how those old revolvers produced before the age of monster magnums handled.

- Ivan.

Hello stug3,

- Ivan.

View attachment 647355
Very nice, love those grips.

Hello stug3,

- Ivan.

View attachment 647355
Hey Ivan, I used some photo editing tools to sharpen up your picture some. Its a real classic.
Colt Police Positive .38 Special (Ivan1GFP) (2).JPG

Colt Police Postive Ad (1).jpg

I was thinking that I believe the M-91 DMR is still legal out there. It's no Black Arrow but it might scratch the itch.

The M91 is indeed a good looking setup, but right now, anything that's black or "scary" looking is iffy.

I have plenty of "stuff" in my cabinet for the time being.
I just haven't been able to go out and run a few rounds through any of my long arms since my wreck, because the recoil is too much for my carcass.

So that in itself means any .50 cal. arm is not in my future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back