The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A .50 Cal doesn't have to be a killer in recoil. The McMillan that I tested over my chronograph didn't kick any worse than a 7.92x57 Mauser. It had a HUGE muzzle brake on it so the muzzle blast was like getting hit in the face with a bucket of sand though. Those .50 BMG are a bit expensive to shoot.

As for the M91, it doesn't sound like a particularly accurate rifle from various descriptions. Since it is basically a stretched AK-47 action, one would not expect it to be all that accurate. They DO look cool though.

- Ivan.

The injuries I received in my wreck included a split sternum, seven broken ribs, a shattered left collar bone, dislocated left shoulder, heavily fractured L5 vertebrae and so on.

I can fire my Mini-14 all day without issue, but my 7x57 Mauser and 30-30 Model 94 push my limits.
I ran one round through my .300 Savage and about peed myself.

So I'm relegated to smaller caliber semi-automatic rifles if I want to have any sort of range time...

I can fire my Mini-14 all day without issue, but my 7x57 Mauser and 30-30 Model 94 push my limits.
Take up traditional style black powder muzzle loaders. They're a lot easier on the shoulder. I don't shoot my .30-30, .270, or 7x57 for fun anymore, just to get the job done. My .50 cal Hawken, .45 cal flint Kentucky, and .44 cal Remington New Model Army are so much more fun and less punishing. Primitive biathlon is a blast, too.

I have several Black Powder wheelguns, but never had much desire for the rifles.

They are neat, though, my Stepdad had a beautiful (and original) Harper's Ferry M1803 that we used to take to the range once in a while.

My FR 8 1951 I have a sling and bayo inbound.The rifle I would say by the dust in the hidder has not been shot in 10/15 years maybe longer dry and dirty.I took the girl apart today soft brush on a dremel in some areas to polish and remove rust/grime and cleaned up the stock someone had varnished it.
default_brickwall.gif
So i used some easy-off washed/scrubbed her and reapplied water in some dings and heat gun next raised about 70% of the dings.I will start applying lind seed oil tomorrow.Some before pics added.
default_wink.png

Attachments

• F-86 001.JPG
    F-86 001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • F-86 002.JPG
    F-86 002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • FR-8.jpg
    FR-8.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 23
  • FR-8a.jpg
    FR-8a.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 20
  • FR-8b.jpg
    FR-8b.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 21
  • FR-8c.jpg
    FR-8c.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 20
  • fr-8d.jpg
    fr-8d.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The injuries I received in my wreck included a split sternum, seven broken ribs, a shattered left collar bone, dislocated left shoulder, heavily fractured L5 vertebrae and so on.

So I'm relegated to smaller caliber semi-automatic rifles if I want to have any sort of range time...

So even though that black powder rifle may not kick much, I don't think using a ram rod would work well for you.
If you really wanted to shoot black powder, I might suggest a Black Powder Sharps, but those beasts generally come no smaller than about .54 caliber and those bullets are heavy enough to give a pretty serious kick no matter how little powder you put behind them. It is hard to push a 400-500 Grain Conical so slowly as to not feel it. I usta shoot a lot of those with 60-70 Grains of FFFg depending on the rifle. The chambers on different rifles were not the same size so powder charges were different.

- Ivan.

So even though that black powder rifle may not kick much, I don't think using a ram rod would work well for you.
If you really wanted to shoot black powder, I might suggest a Black Powder Sharps, but those beasts generally come no smaller than about .54 caliber and those bullets are heavy enough to give a pretty serious kick no matter how little powder you put behind them. It is hard to push a 400-500 Grain Conical so slowly as to not feel it. I usta shoot a lot of those with 60-70 Grains of FFFg depending on the rifle. The chambers on different rifles were not the same size so powder charges were different.

- Ivan.
If I never am able to shoot large caliber long arm again, I've at least had my time in the sun.

I've fired some pretty hefty shoulder arms in my time, like safari rifles, large gauge shotguns and even my friend's .69 1842 musket and a Brown Bess flintlock that was some gawd-aweful caliber close to 3/4".

And to be 100% honest, I have more fun plinking with my .22s more than anything these days and am happy to leave the monsters in the cabinet for show-n-tell. :lol:

There have been some great riflemen who are no longer with us. They had their time and we remember them.
The nastiest things I have ever fired were either a .460 Weatherby or a .338 Winchester. I own neither but they were on a range and if the owner offers.... The .50 BMG didn't come close in recoil. The .338 Winchester was actually a trade-in at the gun shop and the shop owner wanted to make sure it functioned, so I got to test it.
It didn't even have sights at the time.
A friend had a Brown Bess on the range at one time. From what I remember, it really didn't kick particularly badly. Caliber is an interesting thing. Are you talking about the projectile or the bore? The two are not that close! ;) They make a really cool sounding "Twang" when shot.
This same fellow brought a 1 inch or larger caliber match lock to one range session. We never fired it hand held, so I have no idea how bad the recoil was. He hooked it on the bench before lighting it off.

- Ivan.

Just won this in auction VZ-24 to replace the one I gave to my Son.On a roll.Today I spied an American Tactical MP40 9mm 10" barrel $589 last one for a while.
default_laugh.png

Attachments

• 494_1.jpg
    494_1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 494_2.jpg
    494_2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 494_3.jpg
    494_3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 494_4.jpg
    494_4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 494_5.jpg
    494_5.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 17

Cripes, mate, bionic man? You might suffer later in life with mobility issues. Good to see you recovered ok though, you were lucky by the sounds of things.

Cripes, mate, bionic man? You might suffer later in life with mobility issues. Good to see you recovered ok though, you were lucky by the sounds of things.
I've healed to a certain extent, but still suffer from the injuries. Especially my back and right foot. The range of motion in my left shoulder is limited as well.

I also suffered severe sub-dural hematoma where my shoulder harness and lap belt were located. This resulted in major nerve damage along with several of my internal organs being torn loose. Add to that, my left lung popped like a balloon (and both collapsed) and you start to get the idea that it was not a fun time.

By the way, I flat-lined at the scene and then one more time enroute to the hospital.

It seems that they didn't want me upstairs and the crew in the basement knew I'm a trouble-maker, so they sent me back to torment everyone in the mortal realm! :lol:

I've healed to a certain extent, but still suffer from the injuries. Especially my back and right foot. The range of motion in my left shoulder is limited as well.

I also suffered severe sub-dural hematoma where my shoulder harness and lap belt were located. This resulted in major nerve damage along with several of my internal organs being torn loose. Add to that, my left lung popped like a balloon (and both collapsed) and you start to get the idea that it was not a fun time.

By the way, I flat-lined at the scene and then one more time enroute to the hospital.

It seems that they didn't want me upstairs and the crew in the basement knew I'm a trouble-maker, so they sent me back to torment everyone in the mortal realm! :lol:
I'm definitely not as bad off but I seem to be trying to get there. OA in both shoulders and nerve damage in rt arm. When a weather front comes through I know about it before the weather man. 3600mg Gabapentin a day helps ward off the demons 😈.

Guys I feel extremely lucky and blessed in comparison to you guys at 61 years young I still do not wear glasses except for reading and modeling 1x and only the l/shoulder worked on came back 90/100%. :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back