The Guns We Own (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Think I can beat that story Dave -
A few years back drove up to the Mayberry of the Midwest = Chicago, in my Jeep. Drove around his neighborhood for a while trying to find his address. Finally found him, pulled into his driveway and parked. Was there about 15minutes when about 6 squad cars screamed in, lights and sirens on. About a dozen cops piled out, guns drawn.
Took a bit to recover and get an explanation, Seems that my driving around the neighborhood with a Large Assault Rifle on my hood had Upset several people and calls had been flooding the Police department.
JeepJack.jpg

Compared to you guys (and you guys got some REALLY nice stuff) I got next to zero, not quite but close.

.45 ACP Colt
Browning 9mm Hi-Power long slide, Parkerized finish and Pachmayr grips. Yeah, old school stuff. <-- I love this gun

9mm Long.png

Not mine, just an image off the net but mine looks just like this, only in pristine condition.

Compared to you guys (and you guys got some REALLY nice stuff) I got next to zero, not quite but close.

.45 ACP Colt
Browning 9mm Hi-Power long slide, Parkerized finish and Pachmayr grips. Yeah, old school stuff. <-- I love this gun

View attachment 791057

Not mine, just an image off the net but mine looks just like this, only in pristine condition.
Official denomination : Browining GP Competition. Not a true long slide, but a normal slide with a special rear sight, with a counter-weigh that inserts into flats in the barrels's end.

Two of my older weapons. The C96 Broomhandle originally was made in 7.63MM Mauser, with a serial number for circa 1925 and then rechambered for 9MM Parabellum circa 1990. It is very nice to shoot but a terror to load, especially without the proper stripper clip. The Tokarev TT33 has "1945" stamped on the barrel and is not very accurate at present or especially pleasant to shoot. I have purchased a new barrel and plan to change it out. Ironically, both were made for the same sized round, although not the same load.
My No.4 Mk 1 Enfield, M1 Garand, and M1 Carbine all predate the TT33, so the C96 is most likely the oldest gun I own.

Handguns-1.JPG

It would mostly be for a display piece, plus, I live in California which would make an authentic select-fire weapon (any caliber) off limits.

The upside to a .22lr version, is that the ammo is affordable and it also triggers certain people at the gun range.

I wasn't thinking select fire. The paperwork for one of those is more than I have wanted to deal with.
The idea of a centerfire cartridge rather than a .22LR is just to give the gun a bit more substance and recoil and experience the design wisdom of the StG concept. Any wacky design will handle the recoil of a .22LR and I was also thinking of a cartridge that would make the curved magazine not just a decorative feature.
The 7.62 x 39 would be good but would unfortunately nee to change the dimensions of the receiver and magazine. 7.92 x 33 is just a little hard to come by today in affordable shooting quantities, so we can't go with that. It doesn't make sense to produce a brand new gun that requires home reloading or custom manufactured ammunition to actually use.

PSA is actually trying to reproduce the STG-44 in rifle calibers and also older military rifles.
View: https://youtu.be/KWt_x22nwjk?si=rlBgzOBe8dGxAVli

I was going to bring that up been in the works a few years it seems now.The purist despise the design a couple of things are different.
The idea of a centerfire cartridge rather than a .22LR is just to give the gun a bit more substance and recoil
I would of even thought a 22 WMR would of been decent @35/40/45g with V 2100/1850/1550 fs offer a wide variety velocity/punch.I spoke with a gunsmith once about a conversion he believed the bolt would fail?As long as there is no armor in play 10 shots of 350/450g resting in a body bleeding through 10 different holes it will bleed......out.

I would of even thought a 22 WMR would of been decent @35/40/45g with V 2100/1850/1550 fs offer a wide variety velocity/punch.I spoke with a gunsmith once about a conversion he believed the bolt would fail?As long as there is no armor in play 10 shots of 350/450g resting in a body bleeding through 10 different holes it will bleed......out.

The question isn't one of lethality. It is more about firing experience and having something of similar recoil to the original.
The .22 WMR should only have about 1/3 the felt recoil because the bullet weight is only about 1/3 even though velocity is similar.
Another factor is that .22 WMR is fairly difficult to find around here and is never cheap to shoot.

My reasoning for a .22LR StG44 is this:

An actual (original) StG44 would cost well over $20K and I would need a class III FFL to own it.

A replica in centerfire calibers (available in SA only) will cost in the neighborhood of $1,800. which is more than I am willing to shell out for a fun conversation piece.

The .22LR version would be a fun addition to my collection, I can have fun at the range frightening the "scared of assault guns" crowd and I can actually shoot it, sinve high-powered long guns are too much for my body to handle since my wreck a few years back.

The question isn't one of lethality. It is more about firing experience and having something of similar recoil to the original.
The .22 WMR should only have about 1/3 the felt recoil because the bullet weight is only about 1/3 even though velocity is similar.
Another factor is that .22 WMR is fairly difficult to find around here and is never cheap to shoot.
Not sure where you are located but in bulk $0.21 a round while in 50rd boxes up to $0.36 a round. Remember when that was 223/5.56 prices. Seems to be a good supply for mail order.

My reasoning for a .22LR StG44 is this:

An actual (original) StG44 would cost well over $20K and I would need a class III FFL to own it.

A replica in centerfire calibers (available in SA only) will cost in the neighborhood of $1,800. which is more than I am willing to shell out for a fun conversation piece.

The .22LR version would be a fun addition to my collection, I can have fun at the range frightening the "scared of assault guns" crowd and I can actually shoot it, sinve high-powered long guns are too much for my body to handle since my wreck a few years back.
I believe you only need a Class III FFL to SELL such guns. Owning one is just a tax stamp and approval from law enforcement and a one time fee of $200 above the cost of the gun. The fee might be slightly higher now.
Personally, I am not sure I really want to own an original. Spare parts are impossible of course an manufacturing quality wasn't great from the ones I have seen at shows. I can't justify $20K for a single toy either.
As for recoil, these are relatively heavy guns at 10-11 pounds and fire a round that has less recoil than a 7.62 x 39. Basically the same weight bullet but 150-200 FPS slower. Still, I would want something with the recoil of a light carbine round rather than a little rimfire round. Otherwise there would be little reason to not just do an Airsoft gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back