The Lancaster as a potential nuclear bomber in 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
And not a B-29. I am quite happy to admit that a Valiant was a superior A-bomb delivery platform than a Lancaster or Lincoln. However, the fact is that the B-29 couldn't carry the UK's first nukes, while the Lincoln and Lancaster could.
You're certainly dedicated to your mission.

Truth is, the B-29 could have carried anything the Lancaster/Lincoln could, and then some...
18431-3188211f7358311bb0683b55fc5289e6.jpg

ELINT doesn't equal a nuclear bomber. The RAF was given some B-29s and then had to find a mission for them. Assuming the UK had a sizeable number of nuclear weapons they could have delivered by Lincolns at night.

*SNIP*
Given some B-29's? Find a mission for them?

It's Wiki I know but (emphais mine):
During the early 1950s, the Royal Air Force urgently needed interim aircraft for its bomber units, as a "stop gap" replacement for the Avro Lincoln,until British-designed and manufactured jets like the English Electric Canberra and, in the longer term, the so-called "V bombers", became operational. From the RAF's point of view the B-29, was a heavy bomber comparable to the Lincoln, albeit with distinct performance and capacity advantages and, as a type that had already been proven operationally, did not detract from the development of the British jets.

A formal agreement with the USA was signed on January 27, 1950 and the USAF loaned the RAF seventy B-29 bombers which received the serials WF434-WF448, WF490-WF-514 and WF545-WF574. Later another 18 were delivered under serials WW342-WW356 and WZ966-WZ968.[9] The aircraft received the service name Boeing Washington B.1 (B.1 from "Bomber Mark 1") with RAF Bomber Command from 1950 as a longer-range nuclear-capable bomber, pending the introduction of the English Electric Canberra in quantity.

And if they couldn't it would be the biggest screw up in history, who designs a bomb that they cant drop? The B-29 and the bombs it carried were both modified so the things worked.

We're talking about the UK's first nukes. They were not designed to be carried in a B-29.

We're talking about the UK's first nukes. They were not designed to be carried in a B-29.
The Blue Danube was 24 feet long, 5 feet in diameter and weighed 10,000 pounds.
Fat Man was almost 11 feet long, 5 1/2 feet in diameter and weighed 10,300 pounds.

In contrast, the Grand Slam (which the B-29 could carry one in a modified bay OR two externally) was 26 1/2 feet long, almost 4 feet in diameter and weighed 22,000 pounds.

So perhaps you'd like to rethink that?

The Blue Danube was 24 feet long, 5 feet in diameter and weighed 10,000 pounds.
Fat Man was almost 11 feet long, 5 1/2 feet in diameter and weighed 10,300 pounds.

In contrast, the Grand Slam (which the B-29 could carry one in a modified bay OR two externally) was 26 1/2 feet long, almost 4 feet in diameter and weighed 22,000 pounds.

So perhaps you'd like to rethink that?

The Grandslam was not designed for a B-29 either. The fact that the B-29 could be modded to carry it, for certain special ops is quite irrelevant.

Gawd, this thread has been reduced to nit-picking between B-29 and Lancaster derivatives, simply to prove a point rather than to provide information, which is why it was started in the first place... :rolleyes:
Well, if the thread starter thinks this way, I can only agree. Maybe we should close this? Seems to me there is no merit in continuing.

That wasn't my point, the UK had to have a means of delivery otherwise the whole thing is a waste of time. The grand slam could be carried by a modified Lancaster and reduced performance in range was accepted. If it couldn't be carried by a modified Lancaster it wouldn't have left the drawing board, Barnes Wallace had many ideas for bombs and other weapons, including ideas which needed planes to carry them that didn't yet exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back