The Lancaster as a potential nuclear bomber in 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have, could have, should have - we beat this discussion to death a few years ago.

Could a Lancaster or Lincoln have carried and deliver a nuclear weapon?

Absolutely

Would it have been practical and a better platform as far as performance and safety?

NO

A 4 engine, liquid cooled, un pressurized tail dragger heavy bomber does not make a good nuke bomber IMO, and that's not taking anything away from the Lancaster (it was a great aircraft). The B-29 was a half a generation away from the Lancaster (and Lincoln) and when we throw the B-50 into the fray, the gap grows further. As history showed us, even the RAF eventually recognized the limitations of the Lancaster and Lincoln in the post war years.

Source:

I'm ignoring the fact that neither the Lancaster or Lincoln are American because that's not germane to the topic. Flying from the Marianas or other suitable bases is germane.

Somewhat unrelated, but of interest. In the 1950s, when the British detonated nuclear bombs on Australian soil, RAAF Avro Lincolns were flown in cloud sampling flights, which irradiated the aircraft so much, to the point that they were taken to the far end of the airfields and burned, others were dumped at sea. The crews suffered terribly, including ground crews, who were not told about the missions the Lincolns had just flown on, but were told to wash them down with water. These guys wore shorts only - no protective gear of any sort in the South Australian heat and had radioactive water pouring down upon them from the aircraft they were washing. Not surprisingly, most ended up living short and rather painful lives. The legacy of the British tests were felt for a looooong time.

Interesting, thanks for the link, RCAFson.

I'm ignoring the fact that neither the Lancaster or Lincoln are American because that's not germane to the topic.

It's enormously relevant as that is the principle reason why the Lancaster was rejected, regardless of Groves' enquiry with Chadwick.

Oh, and I'll also add, had a Lancaster or Lincoln been called to deliver a nuke, I'd feel sorry for the poor sods who had to fly the mission.

The mission would be a low-high-low profile and the bomber crews would not be in any more discomfort than B-17 crews flying over Germany.

let's think about that for a moment. In high altitude flights the aircrew are breathing bottled oxygen and thus will not be breathing irradiated dust. A B-29 crew, OTOH, will be breathing pressurized air that's filled with radioactive dust... in both cases the aircraft will be contaminated.

And an unpressuirzed Lancaster at "low-high-low profile" would have been any better?

Yep - and Paul Tibbets lived to be 92. Major Sweeney, lived to be 84. Maybe plutonium is a little more toxic!

But how much discomfort "would have" it been to avoid the nuclear shock waves, any radiation, and the chance of intercepting aircraft if you're going to try to present that scenario?!

The historical A-bomb missions did not do anything in terms of speed or altitude that a Lancaster couldn't do too (IE flown a weapon release profile that didn't entail fatal consequences for the crew). Does that make the Lancaster preferable to the B-29? No, it doesn't, but it was mission capable, and exploring this seems to have been the intent of the thread. The Silverplate B-29 was more capable than the Lancaster or Lincoln but historically the B-29 A-bomb missions met no opposition.

The B-29 was also quite a bit bigger than the Lancaster.

40% wing span, 38% greater wing area, was heavier empty than the Lancaster's MTOW.

Hard to say that a Lancaster "could have" accomplished the same mission profile as a B-29 over Hiroshima, but I think we'll agree that a Lancaster (or Lincoln) "could have" carried a nuke.

Had the Lancaster been required to carry the A-bombs, there would be some modifications, no doubt.

First would be to (minimum) upgrade to Mk VI standard, with two stage Merlins.

Alternatively, two stage Griffons could be fitted.

The longer span wings of the Lincoln may have been an option.

I also wonder if wing tip tanks, such as used on the Shackleton, could have been a useful modification to add range.

The historical A-Bomb missions were flown about 8-10,000ft above the Lancaster's ceiling.

And probably quite a bit faster.

The Lancaster VI had a ceiling of 28500ft at 65000lb (max TO weight) whilst carrying all three turrets..

Last edited:
The Lancaster VI had a ceiling of 28500ft at 65000lb (max TO weight) whilst carrying all three turrets..

True, but not that many made.

I think we should specify Mk numbers when talking about the Lancaster. I always think of the performance of the Mk I and Mk III when talking about the Lancaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread