The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (1944)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
This film is a war documentary produced by one of the "Hollywood Colonels," William Wyler, who joined the Air Force Film unit and recorded the sights and sounds of the last mission of a B-17 bomber known as the Memphis Belle, named after the girlfriend of the pilot.
A narrator told the story of the 10 crewmen as examples of simple average American boys doing a tough job.

Internet Archive: Details: The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress

I have it in DVD in my collection. William Wyler did several documentaries during the war, including another called "Thunderbolt" about a P-47 group based in Italy. He ended up pretty much losing his hearing during the war and IIRC was medically discharged.

Memphis Belle is the story of that one plane on one mission, but the footage is from many missions and from different aircraft. The Wyler crews had over 100 cameras rolling to produce the film.

William Wyler's daughter, Catherine Wyler, was one of the producers of the 1990 movie "Memphis Belle". Not the greatest war movie ever made but the biggest stars were the B-17s that were used. Unfortunately one of the Forts crashed duing filming and was a total loss.

TO

Seems that the B17 `Memphis Belle' was NOT the first USAAF aircraft to complete 25 missions over Europe during World War II.

That honour apparently belongs to the B17 `Hell's Angel' of the 303rd Bomber Group based at Molesworth.

Whilst `Memphis Belle' was the first to complete 25 missions AND return to the United States, `Hell's Angel' went on to fly a further 48 missions before returning home.

Never mind! It's still a damn good movie.

Seems that the B17 `Memphis Belle' was NOT the first USAAF aircraft to complete 25 missions over Europe during World War II.

That honour apparently belongs to the B17 `Hell's Angel' of the 303rd Bomber Group based at Molesworth.

Whilst `Memphis Belle' was the first to complete 25 missions AND return to the United States, `Hell's Angel' went on to fly a further 48 missions before returning home.

Never mind! It's still a damn good movie.

Interesting info. THX Hobilar!

Yeah, great stuff! Thanks for sharing. I loved the radio chatter, they're so calm! I don't know how they do it. "Keep your guns on him, boys." I'd be something more like "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH shoot shoot shoot shoot ahhh, I need a new pair of pants!"

Well, don't I look like an idiot. Still cool though. You probably get desensitized to it after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back