The N1K2-J Shiden Kai vs Its US Counterpart

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Weird snafu going on there with the code-names.
The "Tony" was the KI-61, the KI-44 was the "Tojo" and of course, the N1K was "George".

Yes, it's confusing the way the author did that. He was trying to denote that the "Tojos" the pilots thought they encountered were actually N1K2s (the original action report does not include the bracketed portion).

Of course! That's what this forum is all about. The actual performance of late-war Japanese fighter aircraft is murky at best, so if you have anything further to add to the discussion I for one would love to hear it.... :cool:
Thanks, though sadly, I can add nothing of value myself, only point out potentially worthwhile discussions elsewhere.

While we are at it, on an ubisoft forum, one guy claimed that the Ki-84 had better performance stats than the Ki-100, but the later was considerably more reliable, can anyone verify or contradict?

One important factor which helped foster a sterling reputation for the Ki-100 was that, unlike the Ki-84, J2M, and N1K2, it's performance in the field closely resembled factory specifications. In competitive trials held by the IJAF during the war, the Goshikisen (Type 5) was the clear winner over the Ki-84 in practically every mock combat flown. This to me is a clear indication that the Nakajima product was no where near reaching the performance numbers claimed by the manufacturer.

Another factor to consider is that Kawasaki may have had better quality control than their counterparts and this allowed for aircraft which held up better in the harsh conditions of combat. But this is only a theory of mine as I cannot corroborate it with any statistical proof.

The Mitsubishi Ha.112-II that was in the Ki.100-I & -II was quite a bit more
reliable than the Nakajima Ha.45s in the Ki.84. That, and the fact that
the Ki.100 was fully maneuverable up to its dive limited 550 mph were
its two greatest ascendancies over the Ki.84.

The topic of this thread does not include these fighter but I would like
to add one more quote concerning the Frank. The following quote
came from F4U Corsair vs Ki-84 Frank, Duel 73 from Osprey by Edward
M. Young.
Page 21: The following statement comes from Nakajima's test pilot
Yoshizawa.:
" The Ki.84 used 92 octane gasoline. When we used 100 octane
gasoline that the Navy stored in Taiwan, all engine problems stopped.
It was obvious that the troubles were caused by the fuel, but it was not
easy to obtain such high octane fuel then."

Last edited:
One last point to consider before returning to the N1K conversation, is that the KI-100 came directly from the KI-61, which was a mature design.
The KI-84 was developed (quickly) mid-war and rushed into service, so bugs like the weak maingear didn't have time to get ironed out. Instead, the pilots learned to work around it.

I totally get it, Hellcats and Corsairs are not your bag. Is this better??? ;)

Actually, I do like the Hellcat a great deal, I equate it to the P-51B as the right machine, in the right place at the right time and one hell of a great airplane.

That said, thanks for the video, I had seen that one before, seems like they even got the Mustang markings fairly correct, looks to be renditions of Iwo Based 21st FG birds.

Actually, I do like the Hellcat a great deal, I equate it to the P-51B as the right machine, in the right place at the right time and one hell of a great airplane.

That said, thanks for the video, I had seen that one before, seems like they even got the Mustang markings fairly correct, looks to be renditions of Iwo Based 21st FG birds.

I understand totally. I like the P-51 quite a lot too and agree with you wholeheartedly about the role each played during the war.

The only issue I have with the video is the premise that the Americans were shooting up villages without provocation. May have happened on occasion but it was never officially sanctioned.

I understand totally. I like the P-51 quite a lot too and agree with you wholeheartedly about the role each played during the war.

The only issue I have with the video is the premise that the Americans were shooting up villages without provocation. May have happened on occasion but it was never officially sanctioned.
To quote a great philosopher, I "
agree with you wholeheartedly
"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back