The Next Mozzie...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Avspecs (NZ)

Do a brilliant job. They deserve a medal for the attention to detail and standard/quality of their work.

Though wonder why PZ474 has been painted in matt finish.
I remember reading somewhere that it cost them (I think it was a Spitfire) about 15mph in speed and decided never to use it.

Avspecs (NZ)

Do a brilliant job. They deserve a medal for the attention to detail and standard/quality of their work.

I remember reading somewhere that it cost them (I think it was a Spitfire) about 15mph in speed and decided never to use it.

They won Gold Wrench and Grand Champion Awards in the Warbirds class in Oshkosh this year. It was painted matte because that's how they were painted. No-one "decided never to use it".

They won Gold Wrench and Grand Champion Awards in the Warbirds class in Oshkosh this year. It was painted matte because that's how they were painted. No-one "decided never to use it".

If I remember correctly it was said by Jeffrey Quill in response to Spitfire speed trials in his book "Spitfire, A Test Pilot's Story.''
I assumed it was a general decision; clearly not as Avspecs do their homework. Thanks for clearing that up.
Though not all were painted in this type of finish KA114 is in what looks like a ''satin'' finish.

p.s. Which dictionary is the spelling of Matt as ''matte'' from? :)

Avspecs (NZ)

That was about the speed difference caused by black paint and BP glass on the night fighter versions I think.

Where do the rebuilders/restorers obtain the presumably aircraft-grade plywood for the ships?
Well I can tell you a long story about that but to cut to the chase, if you want authentic 3 ply wood manufactured to the BS 8V3 spec used by DH it will likely be from Russia. We are exploring other options but so far have come up empty. Lots of willingness is not matched by capability.

Good luck getting anything out of Russia for the time being. Hey, maybe it can be included in the proposed prisoner swap.........."Send 100 sheets of plywood with the WNBA player, and Comrade, you have a deal"

Well I can tell you a long story about that but to cut to the chase, if you want authentic 3 ply wood manufactured to the BS 8V3 spec used by DH it will likely be from Russia. We are exploring other options but so far have come up empty. Lots of willingness is not matched by capability.
Have you tried TVAL? From memory, they were making ply for their WW1 aircraft to original spec.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not directly involved but will check. We bought a large order from JAF in Austria back in 2015 and they are the ones who sourced from Russia. No-one else could match the spec and the challenge is that we need sheets of 1.5 x 3m size, some of which are laid at 45 degrees. Avspecs bought form the same source.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not directly involved but will check. We bought a large order from JAF in Austria back in 2015 and they are the ones who sourced from Russia. No-one else could match the spec and the challenge is that we need sheets of 1.5 x 3m size, some of which are laid at 45 degrees. Avspecs bought form the same source.
O.K. not sure that TVA can do that, but it wouldn't surprise me

O.K. not sure that TVA can do that, but it wouldn't surprise me
We are working on a lead atm that's not JAF or TVA. We've posted this on FB and have a story on TV news and have had a number of custom plywood makers come to us eager to help. However, once we tell them what we need they've all declined after we describe the spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back