The Oldest Plane you have Flown In?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This one:

Ex USAAF C47A-40-DL, serial number 42-23970, ex RCAF 656. Pinocchio conversion, used at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta. Named "Dolly's Folly". Visited Vancouver Airport, 1978. Last NASARR training mission flown at Cold Lake on 14 January 1983. Made its last operational CAF Dakota flight on 1 July 1983, while with 402 Squadron, CFB Winnipeg, Manitoba. Had been in Canadian military service for over 46 years when struck off. Stored at AMDU, CFB Trenton by November 1990. On US civil register as N21BF, registered to Basler on 16 December 1997. Reported at Basler Turbo Conversions LLC, waiting for conversion, still there, stored outside, in 2011.

Grand Prairie to CYOD...In 1982.

There's some history for ya...8)

CCheese, That's quite a list! How do you remove the lower crew position? Just make it an empty shell? Have clambered around inside a TBF/M wreck, but can't remember where :?: seemed pretty roomy. Are you planing to attend the VMAM May show this year?

Beats me how they removed it, it was just a hole and a good spot for stowing bags. (or booze). Doubt that I can make it to VMAM, the doc has me on a short leash.

Charles

I flew in Hueys for half of that time.
Now, there's one heck of a great old aircraft!

NZ built Tiger Moth and a D.H.89 Rapide at Duxford, Don't know which one was oldest.

I've lay in the cradle of an accurate reproduction of a Wright 1902 glider for kicks.

Travel Air 4000 from 1929
Barnstormers2012 012.jpg

1939 Taylorcraft as a passenger in 1968

DC-3. Central Airlines flight from Stillwater OK to Wichita KS in 1959 as a child. I suspect the plane was built in the 1940's

For me it was also a DC-3, a charter from Grand Bahama Island to Miami in about 1974. The plane seemed ancient, yet it was probably only 30 years old at the time. There are a lot of 737s flying now that are 40 years old.

A Tigermoth would probably be the oldest aircraft I've flown in, I got to have control for 10 minutes or so and the pilot talked me through a loop, some rolls and step turns etc... although as I was 14 I had trouble moving the rudder bars much. A DC-3 and Grumman Goose I've been a passenger in would be close behind the Tigermoth in ages me thinks.

I think for me it was the Westland Wessex. At the time i was doing my SAR recovery training and thought nothing of it. Only more recently have I come to appreciate the pedigree of this aircraft

A couple of weeks ago I was walking through London and a Ju52 in pre war colours flew overhead, very low and very slow. What he was doing there I have no idea but wouldn't I have loved to be in her.

In the Spring of 1954 when I was six, our parish priest took me, my Dad, and little sister for a plane ride. He owned a Cessna 170. It was the day of my little brother's baptism. After we landed we sat in the car and watched my Dad take a flying lesson, shooting touch-and-goes, in a J-3 Cub. His instructor was a P-47 pilot in WW2. Adios, Larry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back